instant ocean

cobras68

does anyone know how much instant ocean salt mix it takes per gallon to make a specific gravity of 1.023? i need it in terms of cups per gallon. Thanks in advance

sfe

Originally Posted by cobras68
does anyone know how much instant ocean salt mix it takes per gallon to make a specific gravity of 1.023? i need it in terms of cups per gallon. Thanks in advance
I usually just a certain amount of salt and then I test the salinity. Sorry I can't answer your question but I am sure some people might know the answer.

drew2005

I dunno if salt mixes are the same but i mix 1.4 pounds of salt per 5 gallons of water of Red Sea to get to 1.023.

cain420

the directions are 1/2 cup per gallon of water on my io container.. if that helps u at all.. other then that, a refractometer would work great!

O

oreo12

Originally Posted by cain420
the directions are 1/2 cup per gallon of water on my io container.. if that helps u at all.. other then that, a refractometer would work great!
that is about all anyone can tell you that will get you close. But I like to keep my water at 1.025

rdonnelly7

I just switched to IO and I think it takes about a 1/2 cup per gallon like it says. In any case, this is the first time I am using IO and I hate it. I usually use kent Marine and it is almost exactly 2 cups for every 5 gallons, less than IO. When I mix up 25 gallons of water it takes 5 scoops (cup I measure with) = 10 cups to get the salinty I wanted. I bought IO last time because they were out of kent. Now when I mix 5 scoop (10 cups) with IO on 25 gallons it only gets me to like 1.010, it takes like another 3 scoops to get to the salinty I want. So you get much more use out of Kent for the same price. I will never use IO again. Nothing wrong with it, but a waste of money in my opinion. I just focus on the cups to get me close, then I measure with a refractometer (hydrometers stink), and tweek it till I get my salinity.

hot883

Originally Posted by rdonnelly7
I just switched to IO and I think it takes about a 1/2 cup per gallon like it says. In any case, this is the first time I am using IO and I hate it. I usually use kent Marine and it is almost exactly 2 cups for every 5 gallons, less than IO. When I mix up 25 gallons of water it takes 5 scoops (cup I measure with) = 10 cups to get the salinty I wanted. I bought IO last time because they were out of kent. Now when I mix 5 scoop (10 cups) with IO on 25 gallons it only gets me to like 1.010, it takes like another 3 scoops to get to the salinty I want. So you get much more use out of Kent for the same price. I will never use IO again. Nothing wrong with it, but a waste of money in my opinion. I just focus on the cups to get me close, then I measure with a refractometer (hydrometers stink), and tweek it till I get my salinity.
I agree, I have nothing but problems with my calcium levels using IO. I now use Oceanic.

briandg

Originally Posted by hot883
I agree, I have nothing but problems with my calcium levels using IO. I now use Oceanic.
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what kind of calcium problems do you have? I'm new and have been using IO. My calcium levels have remained low, and I can't figure out why.
Thanks

O

oreo12

I use both kent and io in my 75 fowlr and they both thake 3 cups for 5 gal to be 1.025

rdonnelly7

I am switching back to kent after tomorrow. I have one more WC to do with IO and then I have a new bucket of Kent. The first time I used the IO I thought I was losing my mind because I used the same amount of cups as kent and my salinity wasn't even close. I recalibrated my refractomter and it was dead on. I even doubled checked with a hydrometer and it was the same.

ktsdad

Originally Posted by briandg
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what kind of calcium problems do you have? I'm new and have been using IO. My calcium levels have remained low, and I can't figure out why.
Thanks
When mixed, IO tends to be low on the calcium. Usually around 300. I just use a 2 part additive daily in addition to water changes and all is right in the world.

O

oreo12

I bought 100 gals worth of kent the other day the stor I buy from was getting red of it they did not sell enough of the kent they had it for $8 a bag could not pass up on that 2 for 1 of the io. But I just mixed it up and it took 1/2 cup per gal to get it right so don't understand what the problem was for you.

sdsheeks

Originally Posted by cobras68
I think 1/2 cup gives 1.021 which is pretty low.
Dave