instant ocean

xrayman

Hey guys just got back from lfs going out of buisness sale got a 60lb bucket of instant ocean for 25.00.My question is it comes with a mixing pump what is the best way to get it out i think it is at the bottom or will i have to wait till i use it all to get it?

nm reef

I just dug down there and got mine. Great little power head for mixing the salt! I hope they are still available after this bucket is used up...two would be twice as effective!

copeseter

I paid that much for a small bag at, well I won't say Local fish store, the closest one to me is 1 1/2 hours away. Great deal!!

xrayman

Lfs was going out of buisness.i went back in and got about 16 lbs of life rock fiji for $3.00lb bad thing is not cured so i picked up a power head for $5 and a heater for $5 and a 20 gal tank for $10 and i will let it sit in there for several weeks till it is ready.

seaham358

NM reef,
I just picked up a pail today No more free pump:(
They are now giving you 2 plants. I have not found them yet, they must be deep.

joesox

The last two buckets that I purchased the pump was only about a third of the way down the bucket. If your lucky yours will be too.:)

toddpolish

can I ask...
1/2 cup per 1 gallon. that's all it says on the instant ocean.
I'm mixing up 20 gallons...looks cloudy even with powerheads and pumps going.

justinx

Give it some time to dissolve, mine was the same way. I think that you will actually find that 1/2 cup is not enough. I use closer to 2/3 to get to 1.025

frozenguy

i've heard to stay away from instant ocean..
that you should go with tropic marin or kent
i've also heard some good stuff about Red Sea..
anyone have anything to say about that?

diceman

What reason was given to stay away from IO. Many people on this board use IO without any problems. Many even prefer it on previous polls.

drkegel

The only one I've read to stay away from was Coral Life. And I also have personal experience to stay away from Coral Life.
Using Kent. (which the rep at the store told me is the same thing as IO, just with Kent's additives mixed in)

mlm

Instant Ocean is the salt of choice at the new reef exhibit at Chicago's Shedd Aquarium.

A bucket of IO where I live is about 60+75 dollars. I think I need to find a better place to shop. Good thing I am only on my 3rd bucket.
Sarah :)

frozenguy

hhhmmmmm
i dunno
i'll ask today...maybe i just got some bad advice...they are training a few people there....i only really trust bob..hehe..he is the head guy there...

diceman

Clown... If you want I found a site online for IO 200 gallon mix for 42.95... Due to the rules of SWF I can't post their web site here but you can e-mail me at andlindan@aol.com Put 'salt mix' in the subject line.

xrayman

Yes i saw that to but shipping is almost $23.00 so depending on what it cost at your lfs it might not be that good of deal.