Intake manifolds

drtito

I am looking into geting a new intake manifold and saw the term " cast-in nitrous bosses " listed with the Performer RPM Air-Gap. # 7521. I ask because, I want to keep my options open for later.
How are nitrous bosses used ?
My guess is that its for a fogger but I am not sure..

mantisman51

That just means it's ported for nitrous plumbing. I'm old school, if you have to juice it that means you can't build to go fast.
Nitrous is like steroids. since folks can't do it naturally, they cheat. I guess what I'm saying is that nitrous is for underachievers who try to make up for their inadequacy. And I haven't seen a juiced engine last more than 10k miles. Get a 1000 cfm double-pumper, some flat top pistons and a performance cam and leave the nitrous to dentists and college students.

socal57che

The bosses are drilled and tapped for nozzles that inject nitrous directly into the intake runner.
The NOS Pro Shot Fogger is a prime example of a system that would use these bosses.
Adding nitrous later would benefit from some homework now. Decide how much HP you want and how much will come from the nitrous. You need to consider the beating the pistons and bottom end are going to take and build for that ahead of time, rather than needing to upgrade later.
This is just my opinion. Others may have a different take on it.

drtito

I have done alot cam ,lifter ,rolling rockers, dual plain manifold, 700 cfm carb, forged alum. pistons , crm moly rods, hi flow water pump. and more. I am in the process of getting new gears for the 4x4.
I just want to keep my options open I have a performer intake now I wanted to knock it up a a notch. BAM
So it is for a fogger, would each runner have its own nitrous boss?
And what would you say is better "PLATE or FOGGER" also ease of use and repair?

orion3814

i personally have never used nos never had too when i lived in az would run a twin turbo 1980 c10 350 350 combo at speedworld all the time just nw of phx
i always stayed away from nos cause i see what it does on the track hahhahaha to may cars just rolling not runnin ahhahaaha good times

drtito

I have bin thinking superchrager(roots style) but at 2,500 its a bit much, and it would be awhile before I could save enough to get it.

orion3814

i stuck with the turbo because al the new designs allow for far much less lag and when you are on the line you are basically making it spool before you launch anyways so lag isnt that much of an issue roots style are outrageously priced you can get a descent turbo now adays for about 300 bux and plumb it all your self

reefforbrains

What rpm range are you looking for?
Adding NOS should be one of the last upgrades you do in a build. Even then it should be used only on the high rpm range engines capable of supporting it. As for longevity of a nitrous engine, I think it is perfectly safe if built into the system.
When people use it as a stand alone jump for large gains on a stock engine that is where it wreaks havok.
You mentioned chomo rods and forged pistons, but what crank are you using? If stock then forget about it. Nitrous OR a forcefeed system will be too much for a cast crank.
Much better off with new valves and springs to match your cam. Bowl blending your heads will take it even further.
An oil scraping plate and perhaps a freshly mated pair of alum heads will kick it up with suprising results without worry of long term detonation.
If you are set on adding nitrous a plate system will be loads easier to tune and play with on your average smallblock. Less solenoids and relays to plumb. Plate systems are typically smaller in gain but more user friendly if the build is not for a pro at the track.
This is for a truck? 4x4 no less? What are you doing with the truck that you are this concerned with speed?

reefraff

Most of the failures I saw from NOS back in my drag racing days was from people slapping it on an otherwise stock engine with a big cam and set of headers slapped in.
I knew a guy who built a SB chevy that would run on pump gas and got great mileage. The people where he got his parts at thought he was crazy for buying some of the parts he did for a mild street engine. I don't remember the prices now but he went with top of the line parts for everything. That was back in the early 90's. He added NOS and used it quite a bit. I was back in Cal for a visit in 2004 or 05 and the guy still had the same car and was still on that same engine. If you don't go apshnat on stuff and do things right NOS is a happy thing.

drtito

I have to say I spend most of my time in the idle - 5,500 range and thats the way i built the motor. I do get to 7,000 r.p.m.s from time to time and hate that lighter,2wd trucks/cars can get next to me then at about 120 I run out of steam and only increase my speed slowly.
As for the crank, I cant remember what I have. I am sure I did someting to it to make sure it would hold up its bin 12 years since I built it. I replace all gaskets & hoses every year around summer time.(I hate rear main gaskets)
I do have custom heads made to the cams specs, local guy grant benson did it for me an awsome job.
Like I say this is a great site.
Turbos seem kinda out there i have not seen one in action on the street myself ,apart form those installed at the factory.
I think that a blower would be best then, how could I tell if the crank is not up to par, what sound dose it make?
What brands of cranks have you used, and which would you recomend ?

salty blues

Enjoy your toys while you still can. If obama and the rest of his "green" pals get their way, you'll be lucky to own a souped-up weed eater, let alone a hot rod.

stdreb27

yeah, most nos guys are like you said not building a good engine. Hence low life on those engines. If you do it right, you'll be ok, considering that you are building a motor that isn't goign to last that long.

drtito

It has run great all these years, I take care of any and all problems that come up with the motor. I feel safe that it can take the pressure and if not ,I can build it again, that is what its all about, hanging out with frends and changing parts.

reefforbrains

Before I give any more oppinion, you mention high speeds.
I have no problem with speed but what tires are you currently running?

drtito

I have 33. x 14.00 x on a 15" rim .Its all for fun, I enjoy driving this truck on weekends and repair/maintain-ing for kicks & laughs. Good times

I could pull out the motor next month to get it done.(crank)

socal57che

The speed rating on those guys.....
...well, if you sling the tread off at 120+ mph it's gonna get colorful.

drtito

I have a gone thru a few set but have not blow a tire or lost a tread.
I have worn a few set out. I keep them balanced and rotate often
(I take more care of the truck then my tank or myself)
Cant find the speed rating on the tire. Oh well if they blow I ll buy a new set.