interested in setting up a saltwater tank

friendofthedevil

i am interested in setting up a saltwater tank i would like some info as of now i have two 10 gallon freshwaters and a 20 i want to set up salt, i have the salt i just need some info on what i should put in it i cant descide myself any info would be greatly appriciated , thankyou very much :confused:

Hello fellow newjersian.... haha im from delran, your right up the road.. well honestly for a first time saltwater... a 20 gallon tank is goin to be VERY hard..... a started tank a good one, is about 55 gallons

friendofthedevil

well how do you do , im norm and yea i hear ya that a 20 is gonna be tough but i like challenges just not super expensive ones and i really want to set up the twenty rite next to my fresh 10 gallon i have salt a filter and a heater what else will i need to start an all fish tank? thanx

what type of filter do you have?? To start.. goto your LFS(local fish store) and buy a bag of live sand.. prob a 20 lb bag for $20.. put it in the tank. let the filter run with the sand in for about 3-5 days. then you are ready to add about 3 starter fish.. these are fish that will "cycle the tank" (to learn read on the internet about this.. you NEED to know about this)and these fish usually damsels or chromis.. are very cheap, about $3 each because there is a chance they may die and they are really hardy. and leave them in and feel them for about 3 weeks.. after that.. you may add say a clown fish.. but remember never add more then one fish at a time

friendofthedevil

i have a whisper 20-40 gallon filter i know i will need bio balls in there would that work? and aside from that you are very helpful i will look into cycleing the tank my friend works at the LFS and i believe a can get a 50 percent discount on all saltwater stuff except fish i believe this will help me i need info on lighting as well thanks
ps:reefman you have been very helpful i wont forget it

haha i understand the 50% discount.. i had one of them in marlton!! well... i would recomend 3-4 inches of live sand.. and with the live sand.. if you have bio-balls its bad news.. live sand and bio balls dont mix.. they compete with each other

haha yea my discount comes from a friend who used to work there.... may i ask your age??? and BTW i think we should keep them from knowing.. we wouldnt wanna lose out disscounts!!
i was actually there tonight at about 8

friendofthedevil

yea i was in there around 7-8 gettin a tank with my but and some salt and live sand im 17 how about yourself and the down low discount thing is a good call, so well ssshhh

im 18.. thats when i was in there.. wow man if we were in there at the same time thats insane!!!! i was gettin buckets of RO water filled up i just came from work i had a long sleeve "harry landscaping" shirt on and jeans and boots

friendofthedevil

i think i might have missed you in there but that is insane what are the odds , well it wierd the way things work i woulda never even thought that to happen. whoah time flies when your havin fun i gotta jet but ill catch up with ya tom. later man