Interesting Question

T

therock0861

Ok this may seem like a stupid question but I was at Wal Mart tonight and was looking at light bulbs for my house when I came across some power compact bulbs that go in standard lamps and stuff. I was wondering if this could be used to make some kind of gadget for improved lighting it was 120 watts (looked like normal pc bulb) for 5.94 for the bulb and you can put it in a flood lamp for 15.00. I was thinking even if I couldn't put it on the top of the tank i could put a stand next to my aquarium and shine it directly inside. Could this be a good idea or a cheap way to ruin your aquarium?

fshhub

i doubt it, but you could check the kelvin rating if you want to be sure, if i remember right, they are actually a different shape too, and would not fit into the fixtures, i do pretty much believe you couldn't get the actinics that you want there

T

therock0861

what should the kelvin be and you are right I doubt you could get the Actinics but I think if I could use a regular bulb at least it would be an upgrade for now.

teetee

Months back I saw similar pc's at a home depot. I thought, great, nice and cheap! Did some research and found out that the K rating was not even close to required readings. :rolleyes:

fshhub

like said, 5500 at least, but for good white and brite light, 10,000 is a light for an aquarium

T

therock0861

Ok thanks for advice. I won't bother with the bulbs from wal-mart. But are you saying the higher the Kelvin rating the better? I thoght that was what you were saying so I went from 6,700K 15 watt to 18,000K 15 watt is this good or bad?