Interesting way to introduce a new Tang.

littlej2455

I was introducing a new sohal tang to my display tank. I have a pretty aggressive purple tang also in the dt. I introduced the sohal tang and about every 30 seconds he was getting hit from my purple tangs tail. I knew this was not good for my new fish. I called up my lfs and asked what they recommend. They recommended for me to either put a mirror next to my tank to distract the fish or do what I did which was --- to a printed picture ( I chose a yellow tang) of another tang, and tape it to the aquarium wall. I thought that they were crazy but it actually worked! The purple tang I guess was scared of the yellow tang because it much larger than it. Just a helpful hint to those in the same trouble that I was in. I know it sounds weird but when I tried it, it really stopped attacking my sohal. Give it a try.

T

tizzo

In my first tank, I introduced a CBB and my yellow wanted to attack it. I put the yellow in QT for a week, but when reintroduced he continued attacking.
It stopped when... I put a post-it note on the tank for whatever reason. It then decided to attack the post it! And after a week, all was well!

That picture idea is awesome! I'm going to steal it to recommend!

srfisher17

This should change as the Sohal grows and gets used to stuff; they are one of the most aggressive fish I've ever kept.

sanchoy

purple tangs are supposed to be one of the most aggressive tangs. Good luck with any other tangs when you add them with this fella

littlej2455

Originally Posted by sanchoy
http:///forum/post/3088675
purple tangs are supposed to be one of the most aggressive tangs. Good luck with any other tangs when you add them with this fella
Yeah, I knew that as I was getting the sohal, but I thought it would be okay because I knew the sohal tang was basically the same. And so far they are doing great. I still have the picture up of the yellow tang, and I will probably take it down tomorrow. Every now and then I will move the position of the picture. But the sohal is already eating which is awesome!

srfisher17

I think you will find that most sources consider Sohals to be significantly more aggressive than purples, even though purples are certainly not wussy. A Sohal will almost always end up being the Alpha fish in any tank and it is often impossible to add new fish after the Sohal has become established. My Sohal rules a clown trigger of about the same size and , IME, this isn't unusual.I love this description from one of the major online dealers:
" Wide berth should be given to this Red Sea inhabitant as it’s aggression extends from the tangs to Parrotfishes, Triggerfishes and whatever else it may feel particularly displeased with. Plenty of space will give the aquarium inhabitants places to swim and hide away from this belligerent beauty. The Sohal Tang is best kept as the only tang (and possibly only large) species in your fish only or reef aquarium."
Here's something from another big online dealer, I sure agree with both quotes. "Sohal Tangs are very aggressive. They should not be kept with other Tangs or Wrasse species. They tend to be well-behaved with old tank mates, but try to kill any new additions. They are only suited for large aquariums with other aggressive fish. They do fairly well in very large reef systems with no other Tangs, and plenty of swimming room."

tonynader

any thoughts with 2 clowns attacking a newly added flame hawk? cuz thats what i got goin on right now. I took them out and rearranged the rock completely and turned off the lights for a day...what do you think?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by tonynader
http:///forum/post/3089469
any thoughts with 2 clowns attacking a newly added flame hawk? cuz thats what i got goin on right now. I took them out and rearranged the rock completely and turned off the lights for a day...what do you think?
Why not start a new thread with this question? Things get very confused when there are two subjects going back & forth.

latinlord

great tips... and thanks for the info on the sohol tang.. i was considering them.. .but knowing that it would be my last fish... might diswade me into waiting a little longer... plus they are NOT cheap$$

littlej2455

Originally Posted by latinlord
http:///forum/post/3090975
great tips... and thanks for the info on the sohol tang.. i was considering them.. .but knowing that it would be my last fish... might diswade me into waiting a little longer... plus they are NOT cheap$$
Yeah that was my last addition to my tank, and he is gorgeous! By far my favorite tang. Let me know if yours works.