Internal Return Pump Plumbing HELP please

gregghia

If I am plumbing a Mag 7 to the return pipe out of the sump how do I connect it the pipe. I am having a hard time visualizing how to plumb this. The last set up I had the pump was on some type of separate threaded screw, I would imagine to help unscrew the entire piece pump were to go bad. Then it lead up to a ball valve to restrict flow then eventually to the bulkhead. All this was connected to a AGA oveflow kit. Can someone help me understand how to plumb the pump to the plumbing. Pictures would help me tremendously.

partsman

gregghia,
i feel for ya ...i'm at work right now but just this weekend i installed a sump/refugium under my 125 off a mag 9.
i'll post pics tonight of my set up - came out pretty good if i do say so myself ( for my first attempt) .
only thing i have an issue withis i've had to throttle my mag9 back so far i'm concerned i might cause damage to the pump motor. some tell me it won't hurt - but ...hmmmmmm
i'd rather not so i'm gonna increase the flow by modifying my hng on overflow to handle the flow with a sockman fitting.
if nobody else answers you i'll take a few picks later and show you what i did.
it's not very hard - just gotta do a bit of measuring first
Michael

gregghia

Originally Posted by partsman
gregghia,
i feel for ya ...i'm at work right now but just this weekend i installed a sump/refugium under my 125 off a mag 9.
i'll post pics tonight of my set up - came out pretty good if i do say so myself ( for my first attempt) .
only thing i have an issue withis i've had to throttle my mag9 back so far i'm concerned i might cause damage to the pump motor. some tell me it won't hurt - but ...hmmmmmm
i'd rather not so i'm gonna increase the flow by modifying my hng on overflow to handle the flow with a sockman fitting.
if nobody else answers you i'll take a few picks later and show you what i did.
it's not very hard - just gotta do a bit of measuring first
Michael
Yeah please let me know! I did have it set up for a while but I didn't do it myself.... I at least know you will NOT hurt your pump. I was worried about the ball valve too as far as burning out the motor. From reading on this board I learned that won't be an issue for you. But even more so the last time I had it set up I remember the piece that was used to enable someone to unscrew the pump of it died and I can't remember what that was. Looked something like this ....

partsman

Originally Posted by gregghia
Yeah please let me know! I did have it set up for a while but I didn't do it myself.... I at least know you will NOT hurt your pump. I was worried about the ball valve too as far as burning out the motor. From reading on this board I learned that won't be an issue for you. But even more so the last time I had it set up I remember the piece that was used to enable someone to unscrew the pump of it died and I can't remember what that was. Looked something like this ....
we call that a union or coupler - looks ok 2 me .... the 90 degree elbow it's attached to appears that it would bring your return line out the back of your cabnet so you could run your flex tubbing upwards toward the top of your tank . Spa- flex tubbing is real handy here because it doesn't have to be so exact of a fit - it's flexable and uses standard pcv fittings - usally 1 inch diameter.
sorry about not sending pics - i was aving a problem resizing them so i could post at swf ........maybe quicker if i forward them to your e-mail instead.
looks like you have the right set up anyway.
i am still concerned about how much i had to throttle back my mag 9 though. maybe i won't hurt the impeller but heat may be a factor - either way it's not the way i want to go - possibly because i'm kinda of anal out how i do things ...ha ha ha
let me know if you would like for me to just send you the pic's - i'll be making a stockman standpipe tonight hoping to increase the pump flow and stop the ole toilet flush sounds .
take care
Michael ...............Katrina Land ,Louisiana
Covington ,,,,,,

gregghia

we call that a union or coupler - looks ok 2 me .... the 90 degree elbow it's attached to appears that it would bring your return line out the back of your cabnet so you could run your flex tubbing upwards toward the top of your tank . Spa- flex tubbing is real handy here because it doesn't have to be so exact of a fit - it's flexable and uses standard pcv fittings - usally 1 inch diameter.
sorry about not sending pics - i was aving a problem resizing them so i could post at swf ........maybe quicker if i forward them to your e-mail instead.
looks like you have the right set up anyway.
i am still concerned about how much i had to throttle back my mag 9 though. maybe i won't hurt the impeller but heat may be a factor - either way it's not the way i want to go - possibly because i'm kinda of anal out how i do things ...ha ha ha
let me know if you would like for me to just send you the pic's - i'll be making a stockman standpipe tonight hoping to increase the pump flow and stop the ole toilet flush sounds .
take care
Michael ...............Katrina Land ,Louisiana
Covington ,,,,,,

ANYTHING WOULD HELP... pics are all I need though as I am a visual guy... so my girlfriend says!

partsman

Originally Posted by gregghia
ANYTHING WOULD HELP... pics are all I need though as I am a visual guy... so my girlfriend says!

ok /// i just walked in tonight . if my pics help send me your e-mail address and i'll forward them to you. it takes to long for me to resize them here at swf.com and i really gotta balance my check book " TONIGHT " ....
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!
Michael

gregghia

ok /// i just walked in tonight . if my pics help send me your e-mail address and i'll forward them to you. it takes to long for me to resize them here at swf.com and i really gotta balance my check book " TONIGHT " ....
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!
Michael

Dude take your time I am in no rush... have bunch of ideas going on right now. Let me know.