Internet router question :P

alright so my current routers wireless signal doesnt like to be recognized by my iphone, but i have our old router of the same brand (dlink) that does connect, but i do not wish to take out my new router but would rather run a cable from the new router to the old (which is in my room) and use the wireless from the old router(does that make sense) :/ but i think i have to figure out multi WAN settings or something like that, anyone know more on this subject...not really my thing :p
thanks

tangman99

Is the new router broadcasting it's ID or do you have it turned off. Has to be something simple why it won't pick up the new one I would think.

scsinet

I agree with tangman... I am wondering if it's your router setup that's the problem, because the iphone supports B and G networking, and so if you have a B, G, or N router, the iphone should be able to communicate with it, since N is backwards compatible to B and G.
However, you can do what you are trying to do. Without getting some background info from you, my description of this process is going to be 10 pages long, and though I know everyone here is used to my 10 page posts, I'm not up for it this morning. Here are my abbreviated instructions:
1. Locate an available IP on your network (this is what I need more info for).
2. Connect a PC to your old router's LAN port, and get into the web management for the router.
3. Disable DHCP on the old router, disable any WAN functionality, and give it the unique IP address found in step 1.
4. Connect one of the LAN ports on your OLD router to one of the LAN ports on your NEW router using a crossover cable
That's basically it. It's really not that complicated if we can find out some background info first.
Open a command prompt on your computer (I assume it's connecting through your new router). Run the command "ipconfig" and look for a section of information containing IP addresses that start with 192. Post back the information from the IP ADDRESS and DEFAULT GATEWAY sections and we'll see what we can do.
But I'd really recommend figuring out why the iphone won't connect to the new router before you go rigging up this solution. Tell me... what is the make and model number of your currently in use (new) router? Do you use any security on your network?