Interview Advice, please! (Graphics)

jayrascoe

Well, my company went out of business last week. I had the heads-up beforehand, so I jumped into the market and got a couple of interviews.
I landed this interview for my DREAM JOB. Art Director. It was more of an interrogation than an interview. They nitpicked my resume, magnifying every detail. I felt like the overall interview went - ok.
I got an email, letting me know that they selected me and a few other applicants to redesign a few pages out of their annual publication, with a 4-day deadline. Since I knew my place was going down, I put everything I had into redesigning it.
Turned it in on the Thursday deadline. I think I did a great job, that greatly improved the original design. Then again, it's a matter of taste, I guess.
Problem is, I haven't heard anything back. I'd like to email the guy and make sure that he got the file OK, but I don't want to seem too desperate!
It's a very reputable company. my interview was with the president and founder of the business, and an associate of his.
I'm panicking a bit, and I feel like they should have told me something by now.
any professionals out there with some advice? It's going to be a rough holiday weekend wondering about this!

coloradodeb

I suggest you either call or email, and just ask for a follow up. I always appreciate this when an employee does the same with me
debs

b0gart

I would suggest an email thanking them for their time and if there was something in particular you really liked about the environment/company, mention it. I have found being appreciative goes a long way.

jayrascoe

Sounds like some great advice, I'll keep it in mind.
I figure he won't check his email until Tuesday anyway, and I don't figure they'll be working this weekend.
Here's the timeline:
July 15: Company contacted me via Careerbuilder.com. Asked me to come in for an English aptitude test.
July 20. Took the test. Felt like I aced it.
I didn't hear anything back, so I sent an email asking about it.
August 02: "We are still testing applicants. Interviews will not begin until August
16th. Once the testing has terminated, we will review the results and
schedule interviews with the top candidates."
I interviewed on Aug 27. They claimed they had 7 applicants that day.
That evening, they let me know that they had narrowed the list to the top candidates, and I was one. They asked me to redesign several pages of the publication, due Sept 2. (thursday)
I turned it in on 11:45 Thursday.
Haven't heard anything, and it's Friday night!
Thanks very much for your input!

b0gart

I wouldn't sweat it, remember that today was a friday before a holiday weekend, no-one does anything productive. I bet you will hear back on wednesday next week.

tangman99

I would give them at least a week before I made any inquiries. If they had several people perform a task, I would hope they took a reasonable amount of time to critique what was submitted. It would not hurt to send them an email thanking them for the opportunity to continue in the interviewing process, but I would not ask them for any details. It would be OK to say that you look forward to their feedback as a general statment.
Good luck!