introducing dirty lr to a clean tank?

gharner

i currently have 3 tanks and i will be getting rid of two of them because im moving rooms and it'll be easier to care for just one tank. my problem is that i would like to keep the live rock from the other to tanks and put it in the tank im keeping to add more filtration. some of the rocks im moving have algea on them and other nasty things i dont want in the clean tank....can i just rinse the dirty rocks in freshwater to kill off the algea (i know this would kill off the beneficial bacteria but it would be like adding base rock and would eventually become live again)???

teresaq

you could place rock in a 5 gal bucket or tub, add a power head, cover and leave in the dark for a few weeks to kill the algea. scrub with a new brush, and change the water every 4 days or so.
T

gharner

the rock has some kind of red hair algea on it and i turned off the lights and covered the tank its in for like 3 weeks now and it still wont go away? nothin seemed to eat the crap either? when i left the lights off it didnt recede at all but it didnt grow any more either. i was gonna crush the rock up and put it in the back chamber of my aquapod as filter media but i wasnt sure if that would somehow introduce the algea into the display tank?