Invert Safe Trigger??

T

tiny

I know that Triggers should not be in reef tanks, but I wanted to ask to see if anyone has ever had luck with Triggers in them? I'd love to have a Trigger, but my tank is a reef, so I don't think it'll happen.

R

rcreations

Sargassum, blue throat and crosshatch triggers are considered invert and reef safe.

flower1459

I have a Sargassum in my 180 reef. I put him in at the same time as 3 cleaner shrimp. They were fine...for about 7 months. The shrimp started disappearing 1 by 1 over a few weeks. I put in an Orange Should Wrasse (which are also supposedly shrimp safe) at the same time they started disappearing. I'm not sure who the culprit was, the wrasse or the trigger, but they were gone. I've been too scared to try again, don't want to pay for an expensive meal!

small triggers

triggers with upturned mouths are considered non-coral chompers,, though not all of them are invert safe... The best stories ive heard of with no problems are crosshatch...

srfisher17

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3209065
triggers with upturned mouths are considered non-coral chompers,, though not all of them are invert safe... The best stories ive heard of with no problems are crosshatch...
Yeah, I have never had an invert-safe trigger. IMO & IME, crosshatches are the best bet. However, before moving, I had a pair of Crosshatches and they loved hermits. Sargassums (Red Tails) spend most of their life poking into mats of floating weed and scarfing anything that comes out. Small fish, crabs, etc.

R

rcreations

I've yet to come across a trigger that eats coral. But they all love inverts, some more than others. Although I've never SEEN my sargassum go after any inverts.

T

tiny

Thanks everyone. I decided on a Bluejaw Female to fit my tank. We'll see how she is when my LFS gets her in of Tuesday.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Tiny
http:///forum/post/3209998
Thanks everyone. I decided on a Bluejaw Female to fit my tank. We'll see how she is when my LFS gets her in of Tuesday.

Good choice! Expect this fish to be very shy at first; BJs ( now, get those dirty minds cleaned up) take longer than any trigger I know of to adjust. But they are very hardy fish and will do fine; but they may take a week or so to even eat.

hammerhed7

Good choice, I have had a 7" male blue jaw in my fish only tank for about 3 years now, I also like having a trigger, but with my lions this was the safest choice, I have never seen any aggression from it, and it does not bother the hermits and snails. Agreed with the above that they are shy at first and take a while to adjust. Don't panic if it doesn't eat right away, but once the settle in the are out in the open, and eat like there is no tomorrow.