Invertebrates, LR, and Ich

Setting up a QT, but just wanted to make sure that I can leave my LR and Inverts in the DT for 6 weeks and the Ich will still die as long as there are no fish hosts. Is this correct?

larryndana

Originally Posted by tylersalzman
Setting up a QT, but just wanted to make sure that I can leave my LR and Inverts in the DT for 6 weeks and the Ich will still die as long as there are no fish hosts. Is this correct?
you are correct.

So I'm taking my fish out to do hyposalinity, do I have to take my mandarin out as well or am I okay leaving him in the display tank?

Pretty amazing the fact that I didn't see the little white spots til this morning, we went out to get a hospital/QT tank and by the time we got back all the little white spots were gone. (presumably to do their next stage of multiplying) But I think that made it also a very good time to get the fish out of their while they didn't have any ich on them.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Leave the mandarin in the display. Ich has a deceitful little habit of coming and going. Don't be fooled, its still there.

Originally Posted by Beth
Leave the mandarin in the display. Ich has a deceitful little habit of coming and going. Don't be fooled, its still there.
You're Right, thanks. My angel died the first night in the QT and now my royal gramma and six-line wrasse are looking pretty bad. Barely moving or sometimes lying on their sides. Won't eat. I'm afraid what I'll wake up to tomorrow. Mandarin actually had some white spots on him last night, which really scared me, but they are gone today and have checked several times and not seen them.

sepulatian

You're Right, thanks. My angel died the first night in the QT and now my royal gramma and six-line wrasse are looking pretty bad. Barely moving or sometimes lying on their sides. Won't eat. I'm afraid what I'll wake up to tomorrow. Mandarin actually had some white spots on him last night, which really scared me, but they are gone today and have checked several times and not seen them.
Do not worry about the mandarine, they have an extremely thick slime coat that the ich cannot penetrate. They will try like heck, but they cannot break through to host. I am wondering why things are going so badly. Have you started hypo yet?

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Do not worry about the mandarine, they have an extremely thick slime coat that the ich cannot penetrate. They will try like heck, but they cannot break through to host. I am wondering why things are going so badly. Have you started hypo yet?

Yes.. but perhaps I did the hypo too fast? My first time doing this. Is there a good way to recover? They are covered in spots so I am hesitant to bring the SG back up, but at the same time they look miserable

azfishgal

Yes.. but perhaps I did the hypo too fast? My first time doing this. Is there a good way to recover? They are covered in spots so I am hesitant to bring the SG back up, but at the same time they look miserable
Your salinity should have been lowered over several days. Then you need to leave it at 1.009 for three weeks, after you no longer see the spots. Then you need to take even longer (5 -7 days) to raise the salinity. It's a very slow process, so it sounds like you went to fast and the fish are now stressed.

chinpokomon

Your Mandarin is resistant NOT immune to Ich they can still die from it or keep it alive in your tank. I would keep a close eye on your Goby if it were becoming encysted that’s not good because as long as your tank has a viable host your infestation will have a vector. Keep in mind their gills are still susceptible to attack from this parasitic protozoan watch for labored breathing or rock scratching directed to the gill area. Good Luck.

Originally Posted by chinpokomon
Your Mandarin is resistant NOT immune to Ich they can still die from it or keep it alive in your tank. I would keep a close eye on your Goby if it were becoming encysted that’s not good because as long as your tank has a viable host your infestation will have a vector. Keep in mind their gills are still susceptible to attack from this parasitic protozoan watch for labored breathing or rock scratching directed to the gill area. Good Luck.
First off I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the helpful responses and replies!!!

Anyone else think I need to worry about my mandarin? I haven't seen any spots on him in days. I have however gotten really close to my glass of my DT and noticed thousands of little white things hanging out and moving around... assuming these are some of the other stages of Ich multiplying and doing their thing. Hopefully all those suckers die out in the next 6 weeks so I can get back to my new aqua addiction.
Okay, so I was freaking out when my fish were covered in ich and was in a hurry to try and cure them. So in my panic and naivete (okay, you're gonna laugh) I lowered my salinity from 1.021 to 1.009 in only a matter of about 10 minutes. Effectively putting my fish in shock and under a lot of stress. Well anyway.. they didn't eat for three days and spent a lot of time just laying on their sides or even sometimes upsidedown and breathing very fast. Well the good news is that today they are swimming around, acting normal, and I randomly decided to put some cyclopeze in the tank (as they weren't eating flake) and they ate some. Also, the little white ich on the sides of the QT are not moving around and are much smaller than the ones on my DT, so the hyposalinity is working it looks like.
I measure my salinity using a floating glass salinity meter. I'm sure there are more accurate ways to go about it.

azfishgal

I think what you are seeing is pods, not ich. I for one have never seen ich except when it's white spots on the fish, and that's not really the parasite you are seeing, but the effect of it burrowing into the fish. And WOW, 10 minutes is WAY to fast, but you know that now. What's done is done. Keep watching your fish, once you no longer see white spots on your fish, then start the three week count down. Once three weeks is over take 5-7 days (not minutes :hilarious ) to raise the salinity.

al mc

Tyler...If you can afford one, I would definately use a refractometer to measure your SG. You should be able to find on for about $50. When you figure that you can spend a lot more than that on some fish and inverts it is well worth it. Good Luck..sounds like all is going well.