Inverts at 1.018...why???

scarybo

I purchased a cleaner shrimp last week from my LFS. I acclimated it as I usually do, but made the stupid mistake of not check my LFS' salinity. The shrimp died the next morning (1st death on this tank). I went yesterday and purchased another shrimp, but checked the salinity. Its was 1.018. These are the same tanks the keep all inverts in. I acclimated the shrimp for 4hrs to bring the salinity up to my tank's. Why would a LFS keep inverts so low. I'm going to complain tonight.

leigh

I dunno...my LFS insists that inverts shouldn't be kept below 1.022--that they are MORE sensitive to salinity than fish. Maybe you're LFS is just trying to skimp on salt? :)

fshhub

actually, most lfs's have mroe than jsut shrimp in their tanks, and the lower salinity does help wiht some diseases and parasites(ich to name one) It won't kill it but helps wiht it. Many LFS's do this. And even if there is nothing else int that tank, most of them share water in several tanks, so same instance. and they have been known to move things around as well. Not to mention the convenience of keeping all the tanks the same.

leigh

hmm...again, my lfs goes the extra effort to maintain 2 sets of tank waters--one for fish, one for inverts & corals.

eugenecjr

fshub is correct from what I have heard. It helps out with ich and out of the parasites that may come of the fish, I would have to say that the ich is one of the most common when getting fish from a lfs. So if they can make the fish look health without the appearance of ich then someone is going to by them.
Although I am not sure what the deal is if he has a seperate set of tanks, it may just be that someone there was not sure and just made them the same. Seems that the owner or person in charge should take a look at this and make sure that is what he wants. Maybe this is something they should post so that we know better what to expect, but then again that might not help their sales.

ophiura

Such low salinities are incredibly stressful for most inverts, and is a good way to waste money (if, for example, you buy a seastar from them). Most will die from this salinity alone. It is best to purchase from LFSs with at least two (fish and invert) systems, or with specific gravity in the 1.022 range minimum for inverts. Some can easily be acclimated up...more tolerant, but never buy more delicate inverts. Most were not acclimated when they were put in, and for most, irreversible damage was done. The lower salinities are easily tolerated by most fish, but not inverts. After all, the little parasites they are trying to kill with the low salinity are inverts, so doesn't make much sense to keep their sale inverts in the same system!
It is good practice to ask about the specific gravity of the system you are buying inverts from. If it is low, and they do not acclimate, then I would avoid buying most inverts from them.

scarybo

Well I'm never buying inverts from my LFS again. I did some reading the past two days and it is too stressful on inverts to keep them at 1.018. I took 4 hours to acclimate, but found that is too fast to increase from 1.018 to 1.025.

rook

I just bought from online and the salinity was 1.023 for inverts and fish.
My LFS maintains salinity around 1.025 and I know they drip acclimate all animals for at least two hours, star fish for more, and sea stars for up to ten hours.
Too bad all stores did not take that kind of care. Of course the livestock is a bit more expensive, but worth it IMO.