Inverts, LR, and fish with Ick. What to do?

cougar

How do you treat a tank that has inverts and LR? I have had problems in the past and have done fresh water dips. But it won't be so easy to catch my fish in my new tank. And that wouldn't treat the tank that has ick in it. It is only a minor case of ick right now, but who knows what will come next. I do have a high powered UV with a slow water flow which might be one reason it is only a minor outbreak. Worse case, I do have a QT tank, but please tell me there is an easy button.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The only "other alternative" to QTing the fish, is QTing your LR and inverts. It may be easier to throw the LR and inverts into a larger square rubbermaid with 100% display tank water and some PHs for circulation, then to try to QT a bunch of fish. Then do hyposalinity. If you haven't already, read up on hyposalinity in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum.
Do you have a refractometer?
Right now, you can try some heavy feedings with food soaked in FRESH garlic juices minced from fresh garlic gloves [not bottled garlic]. 3x a day and see what happens.

crazyzeus1

How do you get the juice out of the fresh cloves? Mash them with a knife? Is it OK to get bits of garlic in it?

cougar

What is the difference between a refractometer and a hydrometer, don't they test the same thing?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Mash the a garlic piece in a ceramic/glass container and then put meaty food in the container. Let it soak, covered, in the refrigerator for 20 mins, then serve to fish. Yes, you can get pieces of the garlic in there. You really need to mash the garlic to get the juices, and you want to mash right in the container so you don't loose the juice.