Inwall setup question

doodle1800

Here's my inwall I'm setting up, a 55, still under construction. I was wondering what to do with the sides. I'll put a background up in the back but does anyone have a suggestion of what to do with the sides? Paint them? More background? I know a lot of you don't really care about these things, seeing some of your pics, but I do. So any suggestions will be appreciated.

S

sinner's girl

I too would like an inwall set up. but i want to be able to view it from both sides. i want one side in the living or my husband's office if he wants, and the other side in my office.
I'd go ahead and put a bg on the sides if you want...after you have rock and coralline you may find you don't need the bg then you can take it off.
good luck and have fun!

leboeuf

i personally like to the black paint method. Just tape off the wood borders and put two thick coats of paint on the sides. If my tank wasn't double sided viewing I would spray paint the back too. It makes the coraline algae look more colorful and vibrant against a black surface. JMO.... looks good.

crazy8

I have a setup that is see through on both sides. New setup and still need to build a top, but trust me. .... you don't need to worry about the sides. First there is the reflective tendency. Second, there is no light there to be able to see in the enclosed area.....third, Kip is right in that algae is already growing all over the sides of mine where I just can't get the magnet and I am thinking of just leaving it and stop scrubbing it.
I think it would be a waste of time to do anything with it. But if you did anything, just paint the outside black and you'll never really notice.

leboeuf

not true at all. The sides most likely will be transparent depending on the manu. If you don't mind seeing cords or white sheet rock, leave it. Otherwise, paint it. It will help keep your light where it belongs, in the tank.

crazy8

Just telling you what my experience is. I have a 55 gal all-glass and you can't see anything through the sides. I have equipment on both sides of my tank with tons of wiring as everything is setup using timers etc and I have tried and tried to get that "right angle" to see through the glass and wasn't able. But as I said, I am finally starting to see some coraline algae growing and I will let that cover the sides anyway. I can't let it cover the front or back though since the picture I posted is from the staircase when you walk into the house. The other side is drywalled.

doodle1800

I'm leaning towards painting the sides black (spray), and putting a background on the back.. or.. painting all 3 sides black... After awhile the coraline algae might hide the background I'm thinking.
thanks everyone..

leboeuf

I understand what your saying, but when i originally set up the tank for a dry run, before painting, I could see the walls......I wouldn't think that the water created the optical effect of masking the wall. I could be wrong.......