Iodine and Shrimp Molt

shogun323

IMO, no. I personally don't add any additives that I can't test for or may not be needed. I do believe you should be getting some level of iodine from your salt. I use a good salt (Tropic Marin Pro) and nothing else.
In my own experience, I never add iodine to my tank and my crustaceans molt just fine.

joshradio

Iodine in your water can make you corals appear AWESOME!!

(That's a little inside info that LFS sometimes employ to make them look insane... then fast forward, and in your tank it's "ehhh, I bought that for $80?"
)
But agree'd, ain't broke don't fix it... unless you're testing heavily for that!

bang guy

Originally Posted by earlybird
Is it essential to add iodine to aide in shrimp molting?
No. Shrimp do not need any Iodine to molt properly.
Iodine is a toxin for crustaceans. They can deal with minute amounts of Iodine by storing it in their exoskeleton and then when they molt the iodine goes with the molt. If you add extra Iodine it can cause them to molt prematurely. This is stressful and will shorten their lifespan.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
No. Shrimp do not need any Iodine to molt properly.
Iodine is a toxin for crustaceans. They can deal with minute amounts of Iodine by storing it in their exoskeleton and then when they molt the iodine goes with the molt. If you add extra Iodine it can cause them to molt prematurely. This is stressful and will shorten their lifespan.
I've read your post saying that several times. Not that I dont doubt you have good reason to believe what you stated but is this a theory of yours and/or something you've been testing (such as keeping shrimp in iodine deprived water) or something you sourced from other credible resources. I do know sea water is very low in iodine to begin with which makes you wonder where the elevated iodine dosing came from in the 1rst place. I only ask because SO MANY sites and products (iodine products who would have guessed) claim it is required for proper molting. I figure at some point they must have some sort of rational for their viewpoint as well (hopefully more than just the need to sell iodine and test kits).
Iodine in your water can make you corals appear AWESOME!!
(That's a little inside info that LFS sometimes employ to make them look insane... then fast forward, and in your tank it's "ehhh, I bought that for $80?" )
But agree'd, ain't broke don't fix it... unless you're testing heavily for that!
I've only seen info about xenia that wasn't fairing well often improving with iodine dosing and/dipping. Never heard of it improving any other corals. never seen it proved or disproved with xenia other than before/after type evaluation (ex. here it looked poor for x amount of time, here after iodine treatment it looks like this after just x amount of time/treatments).

bang guy

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
I've read your post saying that several times. Not that I dont doubt you have good reason to believe what you stated but is this a theory of yours and/or something you've been testing (such as keeping shrimp in iodine deprived water) or something you sourced from other credible resources.
I didn't come up with this myself, I'm not that bright. It came from a marine biologist that specializes in crustaceans.
I believe the advent of using Iodine to "help" shrimp molt came from the fact that a Shrimp in water overdosed with Iodine will molt soon and often. It is a way to force a crustacean to molt. A good trick when you need a lot of soft-shelled crabs in a hurry.

earlybird

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
I believe the advent of using Iodine to "help" shrimp molt came from the fact that a Shrimp in water overdosed with Iodine will molt soon and often. It is a way to force a crustacean to molt. A good trick when you need a lot of soft-shelled crabs in a hurry.
Thanks for helping me decide what to have for dinner. I'm starved. There's a place right down the street that has the best soft shell crab and yellow tail.