Iodine Dip

bigg

I have read a couple of times about soaking new corals in an iodine dip to flush out any unwanted guests. Can anyone tell me what the ratio of the mix is for the dip? Can you do more harm then good?
Thanks

rileybb

all i know is that i used the kent stuff by mistake i thought it was a food for corals but not the stuff i used its called Kent Marine Lugol's Solution Additive - 1 oz i am still not sure what to use it for but it killed all my ricorida's and i added 5drops to my 135g
Directions:
Lugol's Solution is VERY strong, and must not be overdosed! Add 1 drop per 25 gallons aquarium capacity weekly to sump or an area of high water flow. Can also be diluted in one cup of aquarium water and administered directly over xenia colonies or soft corals with rigid tubing or a pipette. Do not mix with other supplements outside the aquarium. To use as a dip for corals, in a separate bucket add 40 drops Lugol's Solution to 1 gallon aquarium water, and immerse coral for 10-15 minutes.
please if you know what this is or help you please PM with some info

M

markeo99

most people use lugols as a dip and rarely use it to supplement there tank
I use it everytime I add new corals to the tank to rid pests before they go in display
not sure if drugstore iodine is the same or not

rldavisou

Iodine based dips are great. I use Tropic Marin's Pro Coral Cure. It gets rid of pests and hitchikers.
Lugol's is not commonly used as an additive, but works great as a dip.
Keep in mind, though, that most iodine based dip will cause coral to expel some zooxanthellae, which will temporarily reduce its coloration. Give it a couple weeks and they should be back to normal. The long term benefits faaaar outweigh the short term loss of color.