Iodine/ Freshwater Dip

azaintcold

I'm planning on venturing out tonight and picking up a my first hardy corals for the tank. Besides the obvious temp acclimate and light acclimatation, I know it is wise to do an iodine dip on on corals to help rid parasites, etc.
Whats the best way to do an iodine dip?
Secondly, in what situation is a freshwater dip a good thing?

shrimpi

freshwater dip is to get rid of bugs- generally
iodine dip is usually used when your coral is 'sick' Iodine will not kill parasites such as 'zoo eating nudis' - generally

pohtr

I have the same question, except that I have a sick coral
How do you do an iodine or a freshwater dip? How do you mix the iodine and how long do you dip? Do the freshwater paramaters have to be the same (only obviously without the salt)?

brotox

I would also like to know this, as my zoos have slowly been disappearing, and I have yet to find the reason why.

petjunkie

I use lugols iodine to dip zoos in when I get them. A drop or two if you are using freshwater to dip and 20 or more drops in saltwater. Make sure the temp is the same and I usually leave them in 10 minutes. You can do just freshwater, no iodine too and there are different dips you can buy.

pohtr

20 drops into how much (salt) water?
Would it be the same amount if all you have available is iodine?
Would it be the same amount if you think your coral is already sick?

lesleybird

Originally Posted by azaintcold
I'm planning on venturing out tonight and picking up a my first hardy corals for the tank. Besides the obvious temp acclimate and light acclimatation, I know it is wise to do an iodine dip on on corals to help rid parasites, etc.
Whats the best way to do an iodine dip?
Secondly, in what situation is a freshwater dip a good thing?
I would ask this question on the reef forum section for more informative info. as the "reefers" could tell you more about corals.