iodine question

rcdude1990

i recently purchased a great colony and a few frags of pulsing xenia. i took it home and put him in, its doing great, wen the lights come on they xenia opens and looks good, only thing is is that it doesnt pulse. someone mentioned about iodine, i dont have any iodine or anythin so i was wondering, is it reall necessary? i dont plan on buyin anymore coral. what would b a good brand to look for and a good brand for a test kit? i jus went to my lfs and they tried to sell me a 65 dollar test kit, dats a bit high is there any cheaper?

trouble93

Originally Posted by rcdude1990
http:///forum/post/3147443
i recently purchased a great colony and a few frags of pulsing xenia. i took it home and put him in, its doing great, wen the lights come on they xenia opens and looks good, only thing is is that it doesnt pulse. someone mentioned about iodine, i dont have any iodine or anythin so i was wondering, is it reall necessary? i dont plan on buyin anymore coral. what would b a good brand to look for and a good brand for a test kit? i jus went to my lfs and they tried to sell me a 65 dollar test kit, dats a bit high is there any cheaper?
Salifert are good test kits,down side is you will have to buy one for each level you want to test for. As far as the iodine goes when you do a water change you are adding it back to your tank. Some xenia pulse and some don't. Mine will pulse when I cut all of my power heads off.

rcdude1990

i bought mine from a guy that had them in his tank for a year, i personally went to his house and got the xenia and they did pulse i saw them pulse.
i looked on ---- and they had the same test kit the lfs was gonna sell me for 20 bucks

trouble93

Originally Posted by rcdude1990
http:///forum/post/3147451
i bought mine from a guy that had them in his tank for a year, i personally went to his house and got the xenia and they did pulse i saw them pulse.
i looked on ---- and they had the same test kit the lfs was gonna sell me for 20 bucks
Make sure you have them check the date. And with the xenia they are funny acting and they don't travel well some. For some peolpe they grow well and for others they don't. Put them in a low flow area and see if they pulse.

tjnitro

My pulsing xenia pulses alot. I have tried different placements in my tank and found the best to get them to pulse more is higher light and low water flow. also when i first got them they did not pulse for the first three weeks.(FYI)

rcdude1990

yea thats wat i thought mayb it jus takes times....
i placed mine high as possible to the light and have medium flow on it, i unplugged the power head and its doesnt pulse. and its growing, i def c a lot more than from las week, so its defintily growing, jus not pulsing...

xcdennisx

xenia is very hard i think to keep in my opinion i use to have alot of stalks of it all over the tank and then it jus one day decided to die, then after it died from this one spot it somehow came back out of no where a month or 2 later which was weird as hell and all my parameters for the tank were in perfect condition. never actually tested for iodine jus added it once in a while to the tank randomly

snakeblitz33

xenia thrives on just a tad bit more iodine then we have in our normal salt mixes. But, more importantly, xenia actually likes and thrives in tanks with slightly dirty water.

jigga w00t

I bought some from a local lfs a few weeks ago. Half of them were pumping halfway... (does that make sense? lol) Anyways, after a couple weeks, they adapted to my tank, and now they are pumping like crazy!! They don't stop even when the lights go out! They weren't pumping this much at the fish store.
Give them more time, you shouldn't have to spend a lot of money the test kit. If you're doing water changes regularly, the iodine levels will be replenished with the new saltwater you're adding...

rcdude1990

yea i do a water chane every other week, and yea mayb ur right i might jus have to give it some time. right now it looks like its getting bigger by the day