Iodine

sommergurl

My LFS suggested I add some iodide every week to the tank because I have two shrimp, 1 fire and 1 CBS. I have never read any posts regarding this supplement. Does anyone else add it regularly?

1journeyman

I believe iodine supplementation used to be a popular additive, but recent studies have proven that it actually has a detrimental affect to inverts.
Normal water changes with a decent salt mix should keep iodine where it needs to be.

db

I agree with post above, water changes and the food you feed your tank will add enough iodide. The only additives I ever use on my sps tank are B-Ionic to raise calcium and alkalinity and Kalkwasser to keep it stable. These combo has done wonders for my tanks for a few years now.

speg

Firstly - Shrimp NEED iodine to help them through their molting processes.
Secondly - Doing 10-15% weekly/bi-weekly water changes should keep your iodine at a good level without adding iodine seperately.
Thirdly - Adding iodine can cause your shrimp to molt prematurely. Which means they'll age faster and ultimately die much quicker than they should.
Fourthly - Some advice from me... I used to be a

[hr]
doser... I bought like every type of mineral additive out there and used them according to their label. Recently I decided to STOP doing any dosing besides calcium/buffer when needed and doing 10% bi-weekly and sometimes weekly water changes..
The results --- Dosing like crazy ended up doing NOTHING for my tank. I noticed no real improvements other than normal growth.
Weekly/bi-weekly water changes have kept everything perfect, everything grows well, and its far less hassle than adding everything.

fishieness

well they do make testers for iodine...
but it can be toxic to your inverts. inverts such as shrimps molt partialy to remove toxins like iodine and copper and other harmful substances. it builds up in their exoskeloton and they eventualy die. this is why copper in large doses is so harmful. because it cannot all be put in the exoskeleton of the shrimp. weekly water changes should keep it as high as it hsould ever go.

cpaplive

There Is Iodine Found In All Shell Fish Meat, Some People Are Very Allergic To It,
To The Point Of Death. It Has To Serve A Purpose But Your Guess Is As Good As Mine. I Could Not Keep Angels Without It.

1journeyman

ocean levels of iodine can be maintained with water changes... no need to add it.
I've heard of people being allergic to shellfish, but not the iodine in it. Are you sure that's what the allergen is?

acrylic300

If shrimp contain Iodine, then wouldnt feeding brine shrimp give them plenty of Iodine? I know everything goes crazy over brine shrimp including my shrimp.

sommergurl

well today my fire shrimp bit the dust. I added the iodide (thats what it is called on the bottle) only once. My LFS suggested I get it. I think it is something they just sold me because they knew I trusted them. Sad thing to say, but I think its true. BUT NO MORE.I will try taking it back tomorrow but doubt I will have any luck. Maybe they will give me credit for a new shrimp. HA !

speg

Originally Posted by sommergurl
well today my fire shrimp bit the dust. I added the iodide (thats what it is called on the bottle) only once. My LFS suggested I get it. I think it is something they just sold me because they knew I trusted them. Sad thing to say, but I think its true. BUT NO MORE.I will try taking it back tomorrow but doubt I will have any luck. Maybe they will give me credit for a new shrimp. HA !
Did you acclimate it right? Has your salinity been bouncing up and down a lot? What do you keep your salinity at?
I doubt it died because you added something.... also how long has the blood shrimp been in your tank?

sommergurl

It has been in there a month. The salinity stays arpund 1.022 to 1.024. I wonder if my brittle star or the CBS got him?

speg

It has been in there a month. The salinity stays arpund 1.022 to 1.024. I wonder if my brittle star or the CBS got him?

CBS sure could have.

1journeyman

Are you sure it is dead and not just a molt?
I've never had a CBS because of the many times I've heard they can be killers.

sommergurl

I opicked it up and checkedf .It's dead and out of the tank now.
That CBS has an attitude problem. Do you think my LFS will buy it back?

speg

I opicked it up and checkedf .It's dead and out of the tank now.
That CBS has an attitude problem. Do you think my LFS will buy it back?
Im sure you'll get at least something for it.
It would be wise to check everything in your tank now to see just how 'safe' they are... no point in throwing away money because something has a chance of attacking something else.. ya know? =c)

speg

Everything else is still alive at this point. It may not be the CBS but he is guilty until proven innocent.
Well if you wanna see what else it could be... post all your levels and your livestock.

sommergurl

nitrates 0
calcium 350 ppm
ph 8.3
amonia 0
salinity 1.022 today
1 brittle star
1 anemone
2 perculas
1 lemon peel
1 cbs
1 emerald crab