Iodine

speg

Originally Posted by sommergurl
nitrates 0
calcium 350 ppm <-- do you keep it at 350 constantly? Having it a 400 and keeping it steady will help things some.
ph 8.3
amonia 0
salinity 1.022 today <--- Try raising this to 1.025 SLOWLY over a few days. Easiest way to slowly do it is let water evaporate normally without adding top-off water. Also try to keep it VERY stable... dont let it go from 1.022 - 1.024 in a day.
1 brittle star <-- a large black one? or what kind? Green ones are cause for concern.. most others should be fine.
1 anemone
2 perculas
1 lemon peel
1 cbs <-- toss it
1 emerald crab
1 tang - blonde naso
2 anemones

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by sommergurl
nitrates 0
calcium 350 ppm
ph 8.3
amonia 0
salinity 1.022 today
1 brittle star
1 anemone
2 perculas
1 lemon peel
1 cbs
1 emerald crab
1 tang - blonde naso
2 anemones

Your salinity is too low, calcium way too low, and I am suspecting your alkalinty is out of wack as well. pH is fine, but on the high side of fine. What temp are you running at?
I also suggest you test your pH in the morning, then at night to see what the swing is.
How do you make up your change out water? Are you letting it circulate for 24hrs?
CBS are solitary beasts in smaller tanks, you cannot add another shrimp as the CBS will eventually hunt it down and kill it.
You can get an iodine test, but they are inaccurate. If you are going to dose anything, you must test for it. If you do proper water changes, the iodine they will need is in it. You do not have enough critters in there to draw anymore than what is in salt mix. Iodine dosing is for people with a very large number of inverts that will use up iodine quicker, and even then, trace amounts only should be added.

ctgretzky9

<<<salinity 1.022 today <--- Try raising this to 1.025 SLOWLY over a few days. Easiest way to slowly do it is let water evaporate normally without adding top-off water. Also try to keep it VERY stable... dont let it go from 1.022 - 1.024 in a day.>>>
Good advice, best to raise it with proper water changes over time and not top off evaporated water. This should raise it fine slowly.
SOmething else I noticed...what salt are you using? Is it instant ocean?

sommergurl

I use the salt water already made up and bottled and get it from my LFS. The LFS said I need my calcium at 350 ppm. I have heard differing viewpoints on the CBS and at this point just want to take it back to the store.

feixjai

this is interesting. kent marine made a supplement for reefs called iodine and it said on the bottle that it is suppose to help the algae growth a little. well i bought the bottle and dose it every week to my 24 reef. and nothing seems wrong with my tank. whats so bad about it?

speg

Originally Posted by feixjai
this is interesting. kent marine made a supplement for reefs called iodine and it said on the bottle that it is suppose to help the algae growth a little. well i bought the bottle and dose it every week to my 24 reef. and nothing seems wrong with my tank
. whats so bad about it?

Does anything seem to have changed since you've been using it? :p
There is nothing WRONG with iodine... but adding it seperate isnt necessary and can be harmful in some ways. If you do a decent amount of water changes you'll be way better off. Adding iodine can speed up a shrimps life cycle. Also adding a bunch of iodine without knowing how much is in your tank could be very harmful to things you have in the tank.

feixjai

i do about 2 gallon water changes every week. well i have noticed that my shrimps are molting quite often probably like twice a month. is that normal? and they even have eggs

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by feixjai
i do about 2 gallon water changes every week. well i have noticed that my shrimps are molting quite often probably like twice a month. is that normal? and they even have eggs

What size is the tank? 2 gallons would be fine if it was a 20 gal or so tank (give or take depending on water quality, inhabitants etc...)
Usually, most reefers stay around the 10-20% water change rate. Some people barely change the water except once a month, others do a 50% every 2 weeks etc...no set rules.
I think being consitent, observing and diagnosing problems quickly, and enjoying the hobby is more important. Especially if parameters are staying in the acceptable ranges. And the wc's should be done properly...mixed water for 24 hrs, testing specific gravity and pH/alkalinity of the water change water etc....
I don't think they should molt that often. Mine molt maybe once every month and a half or so
:notsure:
I am suspecting that perhaps you are using too much iodine?