Iodine

nerdy

Being a strong supporter of give healthy doses of iodine to Colt and Xenia corals(of which I have both). I was recently tipped off that they cause mushrooms to spread like wildfire. Having this wonderful problem of late (mushrooms are up the glass and on the cc) I was wondering if there is any truth to this!!!!
Any info would be appreciated!!

nm reef

I have often heard that slightly elevated levels of iodine are good for some corals...primarily mushrooms and xenia...a few others have been mentioned.
As for what the effects might be I can't say from first hand experience. I don't normally suppliment iodine and as a rule I avoid any suppliment that I can not accurately test for. Iodine is one of those trace elements that is very difficult to test for so I tend to avoid supplimenting it.

Website recently updated...visit and tell me what ya think.
Home of
New Mexico Reef

Send questions and comments to the address below.
nmreef@cox.net

S

sebae0

i do test for iodine and beleive in its value to a tank. my cabbage and finger had a glazed look so i tested for my iodine levels and none was present, as soon as i added the iodine and got it up to recommended levels they both perked back up to their normal selves. its a complicated test but imo its worth it.