IOTM: Copepods, Amphipods, Isopods

celacanthr

I know, I promised, and promised, and promised again! So I finally decided to do it!
PODS!
~~So I hope by now most of us have that vagueish idea of what a pod is. A tiny critter that swims around in the tank, and is gobbled up by fish. However a pod is much more than that. Pods, a VERY broad term used by reefers to explain any of a number of crustaceans from many, many different families, and genuses ( is that the plural of genus? Or is it geni?) Including beneficial resource for supplemental feedings, to dangerous parasites.
COPEPODS!

~~The safest AND smallest of the three. Often looked over when you look at your tank. If you have imported anything from the ocean (like LR or caulerpa) then you can almost be guaranteed you have copepods, granted there may be VERY few. Such as in my tank, where almost everything, I either made (DIYLR) or bought from a non-saltwater merchant (sand). In fact the only things that I have that came from the ocean is a peace of rock with zoos on it, that I got about 2 weeks ago. I have either no copepods, or so few, since the piece of rock was just put in there 2 weeks ago.
~~The copepod life cycle is a fairly simple one.
1)The copepod hatches from their egg
2)After the copepod hatches, it is a nauplii, and goes through 6 nauplii stages
3)After the 6 stage, the body greatly elongates, and the body sections become very apparent
4)Now it is a copepodite
5)It will now go through 5 copepodite stages, each one looking more and more like the adult
6)After the 5th stage, it is an adult, which means its sole purpose is to eat and breed. The breeding of the copepod is foggy for me, so I will leave it out. I do think that they carry the eggs. I am not sure whether they are amaphrodites, or anything else like that.
Ok, they are generally 5 mm in length or smaller. Some parisitic forms can grow to 4 inches! The one type worth mentioning that is parisitic is the Caligid Copepod. They will grip the host with pairs of legs, and depending on the type, either tear of skin chunks, burrow into gills, or suck blood from the skin. Sometimes they can be red.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I am including barnacles in this, because they are found in the same class as Copepods, Maxillopoda, which also contains the dreaded fish lice.
~~~~~~Barnacles
: they are an odd group of filtering crustaceans. They have modified appendages, that allow them to filter water. They also form hard calcerous "shells" that are interlocking, which allow them to close very tightly, when threatened.
AMPHIPODS!

~~Amphipods, are both detrimental, and safe, depending on your tank. They are MOSTLY safe, or at least the species found in our tanks. But, the bad kinds CAN be found. Although very few are dangerous to fish, but they are mostly dangerous to corals, and other inverts. Although, they can become large, (2 inch plus range, they are still dwarfed by some isopods), most stay fairly small (<1 cm). It should be noted that although they are considered a good sign if found in saltwater tanks, it is sometimes said that they are a BAD sign when found in FW tanks. I am not sure why this is said, maybe because of a chemical, or nutrient imbalance.
~~Now, who has a refugium? Ok, so how many of you that raised your hands have the pipe from your fuge gravity fed to your display? I am assuming not many of you do. So

celacanthr

what do you use to get water back to your tank? I am assuming a pump. So you have probably heard the myth that the impellor will kill all pods trying to go through, or at least greatly reduce the number coming through. How many have heard this? TIME TO DISSPELL IT!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~On a sidebar, I was not the one too come too this realization.
~~When you here this, it is being stated because of published studies that say that the pump will eradicate almost all going through them. I am not arguing with these studies, merely elaborating on them. These studies were conducted using ADULT brine shrimp, which are on average between 1-1.2 cm. Now most good amphipods found in home aquaria are between 4-11 mm (most staying in the middle). So, yes the pumps WILL eradicate any pods that are 1+ cm long, but most good (like what a fish would find Mmmmm…mmmm good) are nor this large. Sure their will be some die off, but much less than you may expect. Please, I really would like to hear your thoughts on this!
ISOPODS!

~~Ok, Isopods are like walking under a ladder, and then playing Russian roulette. You have a much higher chance of getting a “bad” or “evil” isopod than you are of getting a “bad” amphipod. But when they are bad, THEY ARE BAD. Now that I have thoroughly TERRIFIED you, let’s talk about how fascinating they actually are. These are the most diverse group of pods (please understand that I am not saying that “pods” is any kind of scientific classification, it is just marine aquarium lingo); in fact, they are the most diverse in body shape of all crustaceans. It contains 95 (!) families, so maybe it isn’t fair of me to say that the majority are bad.
~~They exhibit all forms of crustacean feeding patterns. There are carnivores. There are scavengers. There are herbivores. There are parasites.
~~ Body shape…. WOW, you have no idea how hard some of these body shapes are too explain without pictures. I am serious! GO GOOGLE “isopods”. Fascinating stuff! In the next few paragraphs I am going to elaborate on some of these more irregular forms.

celacanthr

~~Now that you are nice and calm, yes, just think about the herbivore isopods…yes, nice….and…calm. YOU HAVE ISOPODS! OMG run run! Go get your net, go get your tweezers, RUN! Ok, LOL that was way too much fun. But seriously you probably do have isopods, just go outside to a nice dank place~ just for legal reasons, I feel obligated to tell you to wear THICK gloves, cause mother nature will spite you for whatever reason she wants!~ and lift up a rock. OMG look at all of the isopods! Yes, those little pill bugs are actually isopods. See they aren’t that scary at all. Quite fun if you ask me, just watch them roll into a ball, yes just like tha…WATCH OUT FOR THAT BLACK WIDOW!
~~THE GIANT ISOPOD! Ok, I am picturing a Godzilla movie at the moment. Well, these guys are quite large. From the front, they look quite comical from the front (I keep thinking sitcoms), but from the underside, I feel like I may loose my lunch. But no worries y’all! They are only found deep down. Think snow crab deep down. Don’t stop your weekend scuba trip over it.
~~Who watches Animal Planet?*raises hand* Who saw the episode of the most extreme about animal partnerships?*raises hand* Well, remember # 10? That poor fish with the huge bug inside it's mouth!? Well for those that missed it, there was this fish, swimming happily along, but inside it’s mouth, there was an isopod. This isopod, latched on to its tongue, and ate the tongue. So as it grew larger, the tongue grew smaller. Well when the tongue was all gone, the isopod actually replaces the tongue, and helps the fish swallow. But unfortunately when the isopod dies, the fishes time is not far behind, because it will have no way to eat. The isopods life span is WAY shorter than that of the fishes.
~~Ok, BACK to the aquarium isopods. There are two types of “common” dangerous isopods.
~~The first is the shrimp tumor isopod. It is an isopod that is very bad. When a shrimp molts, a fertilized female isopod will attach to the shrimp. The female isopod will then produce the eggs which grow into males, which then provide the sperm, which allow the female to once again lay more eggs, mostly male though. The isopod mass/tumor, molts with the shrimp, so there is no use for the shrimp to molt of the isopod. These isopods are uncurable. They also cannot spread to other shrimp. Though, how do more shrimp tumor isopods get made? I would like to know your thoughts on this!
~~I saved this one for last, just because I really hate them. These little ba…ahem… bad critters are fish parasites. They are cirolanid isopods. There is also a pic of one floating around that scares me senseless. They can look blue, brown, clear, what have you, but they all are bad. As soon as you see them, and have properly identified them as a cirolanid isopod, then proceed to CAREFULLY use forceps to remove them, and move the fish to a hospital tank. AND FOR THE LOVE OF AL THAT IS HOLY DO NOT LET THE ISOPOD TOUCH YOUR SKIN! I AM VERY SERIOUS ABOUT THIS! Here is an excerpt from one of Dr. Ron Shimek’s articles.
~~”I had a student who was holding a three centimeter cirolanid that we had just collected in her clenched hand. The bug cut through the flesh of her palm, dug in, and started to eat HER. Her response was rather impressive. So was the tenacity of the isopod, it was HARD to remove it.”
Well, that was my very long drawl. Please excuse all grammatical, and spelling errors, I am running it through ABC check. I would also love to hear of experiences, and of questions, or of things that you found wrong with this information. Oh, and don’t post the pics in this thread, post it in Pod Picture thread please.

celacanthr

Oh, thank you bunches, you should see the IOTM's that Ophiura wrote, I mean great googly mooglies, that is a lot of info! You can find hers,a nd some others in the articles section at the bottom of the main page.

celacanthr

could someone explain pod piles, because I see it asked alot, and I think it would be a good Idea to include it in this thread, thanx...

J

jdragunas

you know, roo, i cannot believe you are only 14!!! AMAZING!!!

partsman

Originally Posted by Tormented
Worthy of stickiness in my opinion.

very interesting avitar you have there tormented !!!!!!!
hhmmmmmmmm .

celacanthr

Originally Posted by jdragunas
you know, roo, i cannot believe you are only 14!!! AMAZING!!!
I know, aren't I awesome! (and concieted!)