Is 2X250w 14K MH enough?

maingo

Is 2X250w 14K MH on a 90g long enough light for everything out there??
If water quality is right. I just purchased a set and wanted to know my limits.
Thanks,

gtiguy

Def enough light...My friend has a 120g with 2x250w MHs and its doing great (been running for a year now problem free) I also just upgraded as well to a 250w 20k pendant on my 65g and one HQI bulb is enough for my entire tank, :happyfish

L

lpuzon

hi! not to steal the thread, but what can i put in my 72g with a 175watts MH? would that light be enough?

stanlalee

Originally Posted by lpuzon
hi! not to steal the thread, but what can i put in my 72g with a 175watts MH? would that light be enough?
be better off with two or two 150s. A 175w is plenty sufficient for the depth of the tank but the tank is kind of long for one lamp.

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
be better off with two or two 150s. A 175w is plenty sufficient for the depth of the tank but the tank is kind of long for one lamp.

gotcha, thanks stan!

L

lpuzon

update:
what about a 175 watts MH and a 48" 4x65 orbit fixture, at the same time? can it be possible?

acrylic51

Originally Posted by lpuzon
update:
what about a 175 watts MH and a 48" 4x65 orbit fixture, at the same time? can it be possible?
You probably won't get the light coverage or spread with the MH by only running 1 MH.....MH's are designed or manufactured to cover an area 2'x2'......so with a tank being 4' long by standards you would install 2 MH's to evenly cover the tank......

L

lpuzon

even if i would use the orbit and the MH at the same time?
another question pls. what kind of corals can i get with the 4x65 orbit fixture?

acrylic51

Your lighting situation would be better with the MH than the 4 65w PC IMO....I'm not a PC fan and don't think they have enough punch, or produce the results I like to see......I've seen and managed and taken over tanks run on PC's and compared to my systems on MH's they don't compare....Usually I wind of converting them over....I'll use PC's for 03 purposes, but not for my main lighting source....
What I'm saying is by using just 1 MH you might get a major shadow affect that is really noticeable, and you would prefer it to be somewhat balanced.

L

lpuzon

hmmm i'm getting what u mean. it's just that, i just bought them, and there's only one MH available. i only bought it bec i got a good deal from it. i hate to see it go.

stanlalee

look and see what kind of ballast it uses. I'm pretty sure you could duplicate what you bought for what you could sell the pc fixture for. Or at the very least you can buy another retro and use the same bulbs. I know you got a good deal on that MH retro but deals like that are a dime a dozen. check egay and reef central classifieds. you can get em all day for what you can sell the pc fixture for.

L

lpuzon

look and see what kind of ballast it uses. I'm pretty sure you could duplicate what you bought for what you could sell the pc fixture for. Or at the very least you can buy another retro and use the same bulbs. I know you got a good deal on that MH retro but deals like that are a dime a dozen. check egay and reef central classifieds. you can get em all day for what you can sell the pc fixture for.
ok, for starters, what does retro really mean?
this one only has one bulb. i actually thought before that it got 3 bulbs in it! it's just a reflector.
and then, the pc fixture, i'm not really thinking of selling it. i just bought it. i still haven't gotten it yet, actually. it's still on it's way.
i'll try looking for the same ballast as this one, but i don't knw how to do the stuff. or probably ask the one i bought it from. i believe he made this himself...

stanlalee

retro just means its doesn't come installed in a fixture, its meant to be "retro fitted" into a existing canopy usually. With what you bought you would mount the reflector/socket/bulb to the canopy while mounting the ballast elsewhere away from the heat/water. matching the ballast really isn't important other than if you get another MH it may peform slightly different from what you have. Probably not enough to notice if you have the same bulbs in both lights.
As far as the pc, what you want to use and keep really has to be decided before hand or you'll end up buying things twice or three times. Once you put the pc fixture on top of the tank there wont be room to mount the MH, not in a tank with that front to back depth. If you are set on MH you are going to have to give up the pc fixture and either a)
get a canopy to install the retro MH b)
install the MH you have minus the reflector in pendant (pendants for retro fitting are available. you could just hang the retro kit if you dont mind blinding people at certain angles) c)
get a MH fixture like a sunpod.
With the pc fixture you can keep pretty much everything except SPS and Clams although its pretty lightweight wattage for keeping LPS and bubble tip anenomes (about all you can keep). you'll need to mind placement on certain things with just 260 watts.

L

lpuzon

retro just means its doesn't come installed in a fixture, its meant to be "retro fitted" into a existing canopy usually. With what you bought you would mount the reflector/socket/bulb to the canopy while mounting the ballast elsewhere away from the heat/water. matching the ballast really isn't important other than if you get another MH it may peform slightly different from what you have. Probably not enough to notice if you have the same bulbs in both lights.
As far as the pc, what you want to use and keep really has to be decided before hand or you'll end up buying things twice or three times. Once you put the pc fixture on top of the tank there wont be room to mount the MH, not in a tank with that front to back depth. If you are set on MH you are going to have to give up the pc fixture and either a)
get a canopy to install the retro MH b)
install the MH you have minus the reflector in pendant (pendants for retro fitting are available. you could just hang the retro kit if you dont mind blinding people at certain angles) c)
get a MH fixture like a sunpod.
With the pc fixture you can keep pretty much everything except SPS and Clams although its pretty lightweight wattage for keeping LPS and bubble tip anenomes (about all you can keep). you'll need to mind placement on certain things with just 260 watts.

hi Stan!!! sorry for replying late. but i really thank you for helping me.
now, i don't think i am about to buy a canopy. if you want to see my aquarium set up, just go to my hypo journal thread. i posted my aquarium there. the aquarium is set by itself on the corner, i don't think it would look good with the canopy. (you think so?)
or if i'm to buy a canopy, how much am i looking at? :thinking: