Is 30 gal gonna fit...?

newgirl

Hello I posted this else where but I think i might get more results here. I was hoping you could give me your oppinion on a question or two that I have. I was curios if a 30 gallon hexagonal tank will be enough room for a reef tank? The approximate size is 19" wide and about 22" tall. please help any info would help!

piscesblue

I have a beautiful 30gal reef, but it is 36"L 12"w 18"h. You might have a ruff time stacking live rock in your tank, although one of my LFS has a small hex tank that is very nice. I hope this helps more than it confuses! :p

dugan

I do NOT have a reef tank right now but the 2 things that come to mind are that 1) lighting is more difficult over a hex, and 2) with less surface area you get less oxygen exchange so your options with a hex are limited even if you're doing FO.
I think you can pretty much do a reef in whatever size and shape tank you want but it's going to be a lot harder in a small hex.
Katie

@knight

I saw a really neat hex tank at a lfs in Oklahoma City that had about 6 seahorses and calupera growing in it with about 20 lbs of LR in it, it was pretty nice. but I am not shure how you would get enuf lighting in it to sustain anenomes or corals. could make a nice FO tank, but you would be limited to one or 2 small fish. I would get a rectangular tank if I were buying one. Check your local paper or online auctions for equipment it can save you a bundle.

sbustobante

I've got a 30 hex! It's a beautiful reef. I think you actually have more options with stacking live rock, because you have more angles to view it from. You get to design "in the round." My only regret with the hex is I filled it before I realized I should have it further out in the room so I can see the backside. Now it's too heavy to move. C'est la vie.
Lighting is a bit more difficult to find for the hex, but if you get your lfs on it, they can come up with some options. I went with PC lighting that I had to special order through my LFS. I keep a few extra light bulbs around just in case. Pendant MH would be nice perhaps, but it wasn't an option for me.
Anyhoo, the tank has some nice zooanthids, frogspawn, a couple of anenomes, organ pipe, star polyps, mushrooms, assorted shrimp and clean up crew, and a tomato clown. They are all happy and healthy!