Is 342 total watts too much for a 30gal Long tank?

gsxr750

Hey guys I ordered the 36" Outer Orbit light for a 30gal long tank and I want to know if it would be too much light because I DO NOT want to get a chiller. Im also considering a 46gal bow but I would really prefer the 30.
Also does a 10k MH put out more heat that a 20k?
# 1X150W HQI 10k
# 2X96W PC ACTINIC
# 4 MOON LIGHT
# 342W TOTAL, 3AMP

scsinet

I don't think you will have a problem here.
If heat becomes an issue, just raise the lighting system higher.

fender

Can't say for sure... .
As far as light output, the fish, inverts won't care. Heat... that depends on if you have a cover, how warm your house is kept, how much heat the pumps add to the system, how close the lights are to the tank, how much evaporation you have, how long the lights stay on, many factors.
For example...
If you keep your house at 80F and you put the lights 1 inch from the surface of the tank, you have a glass cover to keep jumpers in, lots of ineffienct powerheads or a return pump on a fuge that gets hot, and leave your lights on 12+ hours... You will probably need a chiller.
on the same token if you keep the house at 70F, lights sit about 8 inches above the surface, you have an open top (maybe a cooling fan), good pumps, and have the MHs on for 6-10 hours a day - you're golden.

saltn00b

hey i am assuming you have a gixxer 750 , what year? mine is '04 yellow / black .about to ride it out of work in a minute :)

gsxr750

Originally Posted by saltn00b
hey i am assuming you have a gixxer 750 , what year? mine is '04 yellow / black .about to ride it out of work in a minute :)

Yea bro, I got an 06 with Velocity stacks, BMC race, yosh trc exhaust and -1 front sprocket. Im gunna do PC and dyno tune when ever it gets warm again.

saltn00b

sweet, mine has PC, full titanium and carbon fiber Arata system, custom undertail / plate holder. im going to the track this weekend for my first time, so i hope i dont drop her lol

gsxr750

sweet, mine has PC, full titanium and carbon fiber Arata system, custom undertail / plate holder. im going to the track this weekend for my first time, so i hope i dont drop her lol

Im sure ull be fine, just dont go out of your limits. I plan on bringing my bike to the track soon, I cant wait!

saltn00b

what exactly do you want to know at this point, if you will need a chiller with that first set up you described?

stanlalee

Originally Posted by gsxr750
any other opinions?
I think a single 150MH and two 96w pc are PERFECT for a 30g long. I have just the 2 96w pc and you arent going to burn anything with those especially actinic. The two actinic pc and 10K MH should give you ideal color and great growth.

gsxr750

what exactly do you want to know at this point, if you will need a chiller with that first set up you described?

Well I already have the light and I want to go with the 30L because of money reasons. I do not have the money for a chiller so I just want to make sure. And if it is to much then I will go with a 46gal bow. So I just want to make sure before I get the tank.
Thanks

saltn00b

weather or not you will need is a chiller is not an easy answer, as there are many variables that influence this, as what is your average home temperature, does it change during winter and summer? ventilation? what is an ideal temp for your tank?
if its starts getting over 82 degrees which most people would say is around the cieling temp, then you can fix this be fans blowing on the water surface, or on the sump, encouraging evaporation which uses a lot of heat up.

gsxr750

weather or not you will need is a chiller is not an easy answer, as there are many variables that influence this, as what is your average home temperature, does it change during winter and summer? ventilation? what is an ideal temp for your tank?
if its starts getting over 82 degrees which most people would say is around the cieling temp, then you can fix this be fans blowing on the water surface, or on the sump, encouraging evaporation which uses a lot of heat up.

My house is ushaly kept on the cool side during both the winter and summer, when I had a 10gal I kept it at around 78

saltn00b

like i said, you should have no problems with heat, if the temp starts climbing then fans and what not will drop you 3-4 degrees plus