is 400w x3 MH over kill for a 125gal SPS tank?

king_neptune

I suppose it would be best if I gave a little more detail so people can know what I am considering, and help me make the best choice:
Skimmer Skuzz
My Photo Gallery
400w or 250w MH for my corals....
I have two lights to consider right now for my 125 reef tank I'm building.
The tank is 72" x 22"deep. Its 18" wide if that matters.
It is my first system. I am new to the world of saltwater but I have big ambitions. I want a tank that will let me grow anything and everything(provided its comaptible with something already in my tank)
I have a choice beetween two very good light's and need help choosing:
First one:
Looking at a 72inch PFO light for sale.
It is PFOs professional brand with the parabolic reflectors and deeper hood. The hood contains 3x 400 watt metal halide fixtures, 2x 6ft VHO fixtures, and remote ballasts. The hood is black and has tow fans, one at each end for cooling, and there is a protective lens covering to protect the bulbs. $400.
The other one is the same light but 250W version. $500.
My question is simple:
Which one is the one I should buy? I'd like to make my descision based on what is best for my Reef tank. Not the cheaper of the two. Can I harm my tank with the nicer 400W lights? Or will I be fine?
I should also add that I am most likely going to hang these lights from the ceiling, not keep them inside a cover.

devil dog

You just don’t need the 400w for a 125... I have 3 400w on my 210 but that’s only because it is 30" deep you will get the same amount of light with 175w and you can save on the lights and each month when the electric bill comes...
JMO good luck

king_neptune

So it sounds like I just lower the the 250's closer than I would with the 400's and I get the same amount of light...but less power consumption, on my electric bill.
And I have more room for forgiveness.
I would like the 400's truthfully...but at the same time I don't want to hurt my corals by having over kill. The seller has both lights and told me there is nothing to worry about by putting the 400's in my tank. He has a 125 that had the 400's on it and they did great.
It wouldn't hurt him either way. In fact he would benefit more by selling me the 250's since he's charging more for them anyways.

oceana

no reason that you cant use the 400's . i have used 400's for a very long time on every thing from a 110 to a 420.
do you need the 400's?? no not really but they wont hurt anything. some corals my need to be placed lower but your sps will love it.
as for the power bill yes they will add quite a bit. the big halides suck up some serious juice.