is a 10gal tank a bad idea?

morayeel

My girlfriend just got me a 10gallon tank start up set, and i'm planingto make it salt water, i was wondering if i might run into many problems along the road being that its such a small tank, will it be hard to keep disese free? thanks a lot!

goldfish

I agree--your fish need more room than 10 gallons. It is fine for freshwater, but for saltwater it is not enough breathing room.

jacques

When it comes to tanks, the bigger the better. Especially if you're just starting out. I wouldn't recommend using a ten gallon tank for saltwater. You'll have nothing but a bunch of dead fish. If you're going to keep the 10 gallon, I would recommend a few small, hardy freshwater fish. Mollies and plattys are good starter fish, but not very colourful or interesting. You could easily keep some killifish in a ten gallon. They're colourful, interesting and you could even breed some if you get into it deeply enough. If you are still leaning towards saltwater even after all that's been said, how about considering a brackish tank and putting a small figure eight and/or green spotted puffer with a bumblebee goby. They're colourful and interesting to watch. HTH,
J :D

b_ball12_99

Personal Experience Here: I have a 5 gallon running trouble free. Going to set up a 75 gallon this summer. Go as big as you can the first time because you will want bigger due to the limits.

pufferlover

10 Gallons are just to limited for salt the others are correct go as big as you afford because it is amazinging how small a filled tank with decorations is as opposed to how big it looked empty. Been there done that don't make the same mistake.

b_ball12_99

I was just pointing out that it can be done but I have well water so no chemicals and heavy metals. High phosphates is all. Go big though. You WILL want bigger later.