Is a 30 gallon tall..............

good for a saltwater aquarium. im a seasoned marine keeper but have found conflicting info on the net so anyone have any pics or stories, good or bad. i myself have a regular 30 gallon FOWLR+invert and a 2.5 reef pico. id like to use it to either breed ocellaris clown or for one show fish.any suggestions? :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish

fishieness

many people use tall tanks for seahorses. They are good for those, but there isnt all to much else since most things swim around more than up and down. Small fishies would be nice though.
you say you are seasoned so you might be able to care for them too...
up to you

dskidmore

Tall tanks usually have a surface area to volume ratio problem. You have to be very careful about getting enough air and circulation in the tank. There are also issues with getting enough light to the bottom of the tank. You could keep low-light corals at the bottom and higher light ones at the top.

J

jcrim

Be careful with tall glass tanks. I had a 40 gallon tall tank a few years ago that spontaneously cracked from the water pressure. I would go with a better shape.

vanos

You're limited to what kind of fish you can get. clowns, gobies and stuff like that. You could also get differen't corals with a power compact light, live rock and inverts.

stessman

i wouldnt say tall tanks are doomed to crack, any tank can spontaneousley crack if they arent sitting level or something. Even if it looks level to your eye doesnt mean that it is level and a tank not being level can put alot of stress on the glass.

dskidmore

Originally Posted by stessman
i wouldnt say tall tanks are doomed to crack, any tank can spontaneousley crack if they arent sitting level or something. Even if it looks level to your eye doesnt mean that it is level and a tank not being level can put alot of stress on the glass.
Tell that to my husband. He think's I'm just being a finicky perfectionist on my in-progress 75 gallon DIY stand. I'm down to less than 1/32" diffrence between the front/back and side supports, but I can still see a gap when I lay the straight edge down. I'm just going to have to resort to construciton foam at this point, before I drive us both crazy with the project.

fishieness

try a belt sander!! or even just your old fashion hands and sand paper! You'll get it down slow enough to make it perfect.... the plroblem is.... my house is over 250 years old... so there isnt a single level spot in the house.... I have like1/4 inch different or so on water level in my tank

dskidmore

Originally Posted by fishieness
my house is over 250 years old... so there isnt a single level spot in the house.... I have like1/4 inch different or so on water level in my tank
That's what shims are for. My house is around 100 years, but I can get pretty level given enough shims.

jojogeno

I gotta a 35g Hex and couldnt be more happy. If you like tall tanks, by all means get one. My tank is very nice and it isnt 120g and does not take up half a room. Mine sits nicely in a corner out of the way but stills is the focal point in the room. I want a bigger hex but I honeslty do not know if they make them bigger....

dskidmore

Originally Posted by JoJoGeno
I want a bigger hex but I honeslty do not know if they make them bigger....
All-glass makes a 60 hex.