Is a 55g going to be too unstable?

I'm hoping to use my 55g for a reef tank, and I always here about the bigger the tank, the more stable it is and the more room for error it will allow you.
So how hard would it be to keep reef in a 55g vs a 125g? Or a 15g nano ?

geoj

I'm hoping to use my 55g for a reef tank, and I always here about the bigger the tank, the more stable it is and the more room for error it will allow you.
A 55g is what many people start out in. It is not very deep front-back so it is hard to have a large sand bed. Most will change out of that tank to go bigger and then use the 55 for the sump.
I would go no smaller then a 40 for your first salt tank. 15g would need a daily top-off.

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 http:///forum/thread/387090/is-a-55g-going-to-be-too-unstable#post_3403303
I would suggest that if you are going to go with a 55g, you would be better off spending the little extra money on a 75g because you will be a lot happier with the real estate that is going to offer over the 55g.. I was going to go with a 55g for my first tank, bought the 55g, but then decided to go with a 75g because of the room it offered over the 55g. Maybe at some point I will set the 55g for something later on.
Just my .02
Scott

Any tank is what YOU make it. I'm perfectly happy with a 20g saltwater tank. I used to have six 55g saltwater tanks, a 90g show and a 240g reef tank all running at the same time - and I tell yah, the tank is what YOU make it. A 55g is great, but remember - the bigger the tank, the more it costs to maintain and run it. The equipment is more expensive and it's more to clean. So, it's really your call.

flower

I liked my 55g, my first saltwater tank. I would recommend a rock foam wall because the 55g is pretty narrow and that would save some space and yet have plenty of rock that would seed and become live in no time. Search this site for Foamback project 101 for an idea of what I'm talking about. I did it on my 30g and I love the results.
A 75g takes the same equipment as a 55g ..... Same lights, rocks, pumps everything maybe a little more sand. Yet it has so much more swim room.....20g does make a difference, so if you can go 75g I say do it.
All tanks take daily top offs of RO water. A nano tank needs more frequent water changes. I can change water on my 90g once a month, but the 30g needs weekly water changes to stay healthy.

Well thanks for the insight. I already bought the 55g a month or so ago. And have a green chromis, 55 lb rock, and a clown and a very small clean up crew. I do 10% water changes every Sunday. I plan on getting reefs this winter.
I also am getting a 125g for a clown trigger, a Picasso trigger, and a lion, and that's it.
Those two tanks will go perfect in my living room with one on each wall.

1guydude

Quote:

who needs a tv right? LOL
when i 1st started i got a 36bowfront and i should have got a 40breeder but i was a n00b!
Ive currently got a 20L and the 36 still... but i have a 75gal waiting to be set up and i think ill take everything out of the 20gal for it!
All tanks need to be topped off daily imo and i agree that no tank is the same and YOU make it!
Even still if i took two exact tanks with the same equipment and set em up the exact same and everything...down the road lets say 6-10months you would start to notice a diffrenece!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 http:///forum/thread/387090/is-a-55g-going-to-be-too-unstable#post_3403369
Well thanks for the insight. I already bought the 55g a month or so ago. And have a green chromis, 55 lb rock, and a clown and a very small clean up crew. I do 10% water changes every Sunday. I plan on getting reefs this winter.
I also am getting a 125g for a clown trigger, a Picasso trigger, and a lion, and that's it.
Awesome...can you post some pictures? Sorry, i was confused, I thought you were shopping for the right size tank and just starting up.
If you are asking if a 55g is good for a reef tank..the answer is yes. 10% WC a week...very good. I only do that for the small tanks. Although when I had problems with the 90g I was doing daily WCs but that's not the norm. I did monthly water changes on my 55g and bimonthly would have been better. To do one every week is true commitment, your tank will be very healthy.
Good strong lighting (depending on what type of corals you want) and good power heads to circulate the water are the main things with a reef. all areas must have flow, not all the same flow...some corals like low, some medium and some love to be right under the power head to be happy.
Some corals will do good on the sand and others like the rocks. So always do lots of research to see what a corals needs are before adding it. Check temps as well. some corals like it cooler and some warmer. You will want corals with the same basic needs.
Also you won't be able to keep low light corals directly under metal halides unless you have a cave or large ledge to shade them. I always rearranged my rocks so I had the caves and ledges for that reason. I always like a variety.