Is a 6 degree temperature swing bad?

sillynecco

Hey all, i was wondering.... At the end of day, my lights usually warm the tank to 80 degrees, but then in the morning, the temp goes down to 74 degrees. I know this cant be good, but is it necessarily bad?
Just wondering, Im afraid if i have to run a heater at night then i will have a problem keeping the water cool.
any comments?

teen

tonight, try setting the heater to 79, then tomorrow see if the tank gets hotter than 80.

S

sinner's girl

temp swing is stressful, once in awhile okay, but everyday, very stressful on your fish inverts.
run a heater, if the temp gets too hot, run a fan.
try running lights in the morning, rather than during the day.

maxalmon

I'm like hyper neurotic about my tank temp, I've got it down to about .5 change from day to day, took a while of playing with fans, heaters, airvents for home air conditioning and how they are aimed at the tank, zone timer for home aircondition so that part of the house stays cool all day (4 units on house) where as before it was not cooling as much till about 2 hours before we came home, installed fan below my tank to blow on sump. Took me about 2 weeks to stabilize the temp, corals are loving it.