Is a water change really neccessary?

My current parameters are:
ph - 8.2
dKH - 11
Ca - 440
trates, trites, ammonia - all 0
It has been 3 weeks since my last water change, but my parameters are still perfect. So, do I really need to do one?

dragonboy

You don't really have to but some people do it once a month and there are people who does it every two weeks and there some who does every couple of days. But if you got a lot of bioload then you have to do it often.

mx#28

Originally Posted by smokingreefer
http:///forum/post/2706800
My current parameters are:
ph - 8.2
dKH - 11
Ca - 440
trates, trites, ammonia - all 0
It has been 3 weeks since my last water change, but my parameters are still perfect. So, do I really need to do one?

3 weeks is not long to go without a water change. There may be something to be said for changing small amounts of water more frequently (weekly, etc) - but you're definetely not long overdue. I don't advocate it, but I've seen a few lucky aquarists go for months and years without ever changing water.
That said, you should know that the parameters you've listed are only a few things we test for amongst many other trace elements, etc that we don't. Simply because those numbers are satisfactory doesn't mean that something else doesn't need to be replenished or whatnot.

N

nemo_66

i had a tank setup for about a year and 4 months, and i rarely did water changes. it was a 28 gallon, with some LR, lots of corals, no skimmer. just ran two HOB filters, one had some LR rubble, and one had carbon. everything thrived. coraline eveywhere.

mr_x

i know someone with a nano that did the same thing, however, he had no sps. all he had were zoos and mushrooms.

reefkprz

If your plajnning on shifting towards a mixed reef I would definatly stay on top of water changes. between trace element depletion and nutrient build up....... its easier to prevent the problem than try to fix it after stuff starts going to hell. maintaining good water quyality should be a primnary focus if you wabnt good color and growth without risking invasive algaes taking over once you start on high end or tough to keep corals.

I have a 270 gallon mixed reef with a good size bio load and have not done a water change in the last 2 years. Water changes are not necessary if you have a well balanced tank. I have a deep sandbed, alot of liverock, a good clean up crew, and a great skimmer.

kogle

A calcium reactor is of great benefit as well if you're looking to avoid water changes. I know people that never do them. As long as you dose and don't overfeed or have too many fish then you should be fine. Of course there are many variables that will play into that.

Doing a water change, helps to replace the trace elements needed for reef/corals. If you don't do any water changes, only top off's, then you would have to dose any element that is depleted.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by jellyman1213
http:///forum/post/2707392
I have a 270 gallon mixed reef with a good size bio load and have not done a water change in the last 2 years. Water changes are not necessary if you have a well balanced tank. I have a deep sandbed, alot of liverock, a good clean up crew, and a great skimmer.
got pictures?
oh and how about a list of supplements you use, tyo replace diminished elements.

blazehok68

"the solution to pollution is dillution..." to quote another.
also it replenishes trace elements and helps keep you calcium level in check.