Is a yellow clown goby reef safe?

elvictre

I read a different thing on every website. Does anyone have them in there reef? I have a mixed reef both sps and lps.
I appreciate all input.
Thanks
Vic

mrdc

My neighbor has one in a reef. It perches most of the time and he has LPS and SPS corals. My book states that they are an excellent reef aquarium species and may nip small coral polyps but will not do irreparable damage.

rsd

I have had a green clown goby and a yellow citron goby in my reef tank for about 5 years. I have soft corals, hard corals, leathers, anemonies, etc. etc. etc. My goby is a bit of a brute to the small fishes in that he chases them around... but he doesn't bother my corals or even nip the other fish.
I would say go for it. Mine was originally in an 85 gallon for 4 years and in our 180 for the last year. Alot of character. Great fish.

keith burn

Originally Posted by elvictre
I read a different thing on every website. Does anyone have them in there reef? I have a mixed reef both sps and lps.
I appreciate all input.
Thanks
Vic

yes *Link Removed*

elvictre

Thanks. I think I will give it a shot. I would hate for it to munch on my sps, but the ones my LFS have are like 3/4 of a inch. How much damage can he do.....lol.
Thanks Again
Vic

chipmaker

Well sometimes a small critter can create a lot of havoc, so don;t judge them by their size.....But they are considered reef safe and easy going fish. I have never seen mention of the yellow clown goby bothering corals of any type, but I do see references of the citron and green and black ones possibly nipping the corals. IIRC the yellow is the smallest of the species.
I have a need for two yellow myself, but do not see them listed on SWF, and my local lfs will not order them for some reason or other, they say they have to buy a set quanity of them, and they never have much of a call for them, so they will not stock them. ***** had 4 of them and when I went to get two yesterday, three were stuck in thre filter strainer, and the 4th was all puffy and blistered looking. It would be 2 more weeks until ***** got in a customer order, so I may just do my first mail order or purchase online of fish today.

rsd

I would be cautious about buying more than 1.
I have a green clown and my yellow citron in the 180. Even then, the citron has "his territoty" and the green clown goby has "his rocks". The green clown goby is almost twice the size as the citron... yet the citron is the bully. It isn't a violent confrontation by any means... but there is dominance.
One of my friends has an 85 and tried to do 2 green clown gobies... they faught alot. Again, not violently... but definately added stress.
BTW. Clown and citron gobies are notorious for finding their way into your overflow... and sometimes all the way to your sump. I have retrieved by green CG from the sump at least 5 times over 3 years and my citron has "dissapeared" and discovered happily getting fat on Pods in my fuge 4 times. They are good at that.
If you can't find it... it may not be dead... just getting some food at the all-you-can-eat buffet known as your fuge.
my 2 cents.

krazekajin

I love my yellow clown gobies.
I have two.
One in my 6 gallon nano reef, and one in my 29 reef. They are the coolest fish.

S

scriggle

I have a green clown goby that hasnt touched any of my zoos,frogspawn, star polyps, shrooms, trumpet, alveopora, nothing. He actually spends more of his time around my corals than my percula clown. I had to hand feed him once because he was really afraid of my perc and wouldnt venture out to grab food. he loves to be seen and moves from coral to coral. ***)

smoney

I love my little black clown goby, its the life of the tank. It hangs with my coral beauty and my tangs. He is such a tough guy and even comes up to the glass when I look at the tank, here is a shot of him in my yellow figi leather.

birdy

yellow citron gobies, can destroy a colony of sps. I had one do it and I know of plenty of other people that have had to get rid of them because of damage to sps corals.

rsd

Id like to takeback what I've said about citron gobies being reef safe.
Mine is a couple years old... and has started showing some real signs of aggression. It is quickly becoming the bully of thetank, even over my clown, coral beauty, and rabbits. It is also developing a tast for SPS.
It is also been avoiding every trap and bait I have tried.