Is All-Glass All-Good???

surfnturf

Broomer, I delved a little farther on this subject and found that there is a great deal of uncertainty surrounding the properties of glass. Presently, they no longer refer to it as a supercooled liquid but now call it an amorphous substance. It is the most unstructured solid that we know of, and still retains some properties of liquids. Glass does not form the bonds that you would find in other solids such as crystals. The window sagging is thought to be a result of the processes used to form the glass and not due to the forces of gravity as we were all taught in school. Still, it is true that all tanks will bow over time, the bonds in the glass are short range order bonds instead of long range bonds as a result, the glass has a fair amount of elasticity. Broomer, thanks for asking for more info, I found this stuff fascinating.

newfishliny

I have a 90all glass tank 48/18/24 6 yrs , moved it , stored it,
put up on it side.its dame good and doesn't leak.just filled and cycleing now.

surfnturf

I have a 45 gallon tall All Glass aquarium that has been set up for 17 years, no leaks at all. The glass does bow slightly in the front(probably 1/8 inch overall deflection in the front glass) and I don't doubt that it will be going for another 10 years. After that, I may have to scrape the old silicone off and reseal it, then I can probably expect another 10-30 years out of it before I have to mess with again, by that time I'll be probly be wearing diapers and be worried about other leaks:D

broomer5

surfnturf
Hey - Toledo is called the Glass City ! We know glass up here LOL
Just kidding - I don't know much about it really.
I call on companies like Libbey Glass and L.O.F. here in town.
Think I'll ask a couple of the glass techno-guru engineers what they think about this - just for curiosity sake.
I'll let you know what they say - okay.
If you ever get a chance to visit a glass factory - they have open house tours - do so. It's amazing.
I imagine it's like walking next to a lava flow - molten glass around 2400F
You'll run outside of the plant in August when it's 100 degrees outside - just to cool off !
Wild

surfnturf

Sounds really cool Broomer, I'm always interested in seeing stuff like that, I'll definitely have to take one of those tours someday.

bartman

I have two 75 gallon all-glass tanks and they work GREAT. I will always buy all-glass (if my wife lets me get another tank someday) ;)
Bartman