is anybody on that can help me right now?

skakja

I just recevied 100 lbs of live rock for my new 100 galloon tank.
It is in the boxes and I need to get it out. It is going straight into the tank to cure. Is there any steps I need to do before just putting it in the tank.

T

thomas712

If you got the rock from Florida you might want to soak it in some saltwater first and scrub it off if it really stinks bad to try to get some of the die off - off of it. Rock from Fla. seems to carry some unwanted hitchikers as well. Soda water usually makes them run, just soak it for a couple of min and see what scurries out. Save any bristle worms for the tank.
I hope there is nothing living in your tank right now or I would advise curing in a seperate container. Use a strong skimmer while curing and have water change water ready, this is the only time I recommend water changes while cycling if that is your intent.
Look up some older posts about curing live rock, I'm in a hurry and haven't got time to tell all.
Thomas

gypsie32

It might be helpful to run your lights a few hours a day, so that living creatures on your rock have a better chance of surviving, not as much die off...Just a suggestion!!

skakja

Hey thanks everybody! Any idea where I would find pictures to identify what is on this rock? :D

fshhub

i have to disagree with thomas on this one, i do not believe in scrubbing it, espcially in a new tank, it wont hurt the cycle one bit to use that rock without doing so.
IMO, scrubbin only gets rid of alot of garbage, some of which may have a had a small cahnce of surviving or coming back.
however, as was said, if a new tank with no life in it and only sw and sand, jsut add the rock and wait it out.
good luck
as for identifying, all over the web, good descriptions and pics here can turn up lots of answers. Esp if you can provide pics, most of us have or have seen the life you may or may not have. Every once inn a while someone will thro us a curve ball but not too often.

tagg

I took my uncured Carib and swished it piece by piece in a 5 gal pail. Also let the water in the pail settle to check for critters.
No scrubbing.
Tg.