Is anyone in the St. Louis area?

kimmie

Just wondering....I am starting my first SW tank and was looking for a good LFS and/or for some help.
Thanks - Kimmie

kzlen

I searched for a few LFS around St. Louis and St. Charles.
There used to be a huge saltwater store in st charles, but couldnt find it. Just moved back to town a year ago. There is a LFS on Howdershell in Hazelwood(N. county) "Beldts Aquarium". Been in business for years but in my opinion not very helpful. Basically have to know what you want. Theyll be happy to sell you anything, no questions.
I have learned alot just reading this message board. And I plan to get some books at the library.
If you happen to find another Saltwater Dealer,..
Do Share Info!

kimmie

Kzlen,
I've been to Beltz twice - and I will never go again. The people are rude and you're right about not helping. I couldn't find anything I wanted. I did find a place in Clayton that's new, it's called Saltwater City. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and I'll let you know how it is.
If anyone has had experience with this place let us know!
Thanks,
Kimmie

saltguy60

I just wanted to let you guys know that there is a grat sw store in st chalres called Reef Systems. You take 70 east to the 94 exit and then take a lieft. Go across the bridge and it is right on your right. it sits back in a small plaza. It's next to some mexican resteraunt. The people there are extremely helpful and will answer any question for you. I agree with you on Beldts. We went there when we were just starting our sw tank and they totally sent us in the wrong direction. Anyway, just another store for you to go to!

kimmie

Thanks for the info on the store! It's kind of far for me, but I will check it out.
A friend of mine told me about another one in clayton, that he has been using for a couple of years. It's called Clayton Pet Emporium. It's on South Hanley and Wydown. A great place, great people. They are very helpful, and they won't sell you what you don't need. I've been in there twice now and I love it. Since I am just starting out, I have alot of questions. I do get alot of answers from this site, but sometimes you need answers when you're not in front of the computer. And they take the time to answer them.
I haven't had a chance to check out Saltwater City in Clayton yet. I've been by there three times, but they close kinda early for me to get there after work. - I would still like to know if anyone has been there, what kind of experience.
:)

budman

a friend of mine stopped in,ut the guy was closed.he let him look around though.said all the tanks looked nice,and had decent prices.let us know when you go how it was.

saltguy60

I was just at pet emporium today. It was my first time there. It seems really nice and the people there seem to know a lot. Like you said, they aren't going to sell you something that won't work in your tank or something you don't need. They did seem a little pricie though. At the reef, they are very resonable and you can even deal with them a little bit if you think the price is to high. Anyway, Pet Emporium was a very nice place. Alot of coral to choose from!! Well, when someone makes it to saltwater city, let us know how it is!

T

toungetwster

There are several that I like one is fairly new called Tropical World located on Watson road I think the name of the plaza is Grant's Village? Not sure though...the guys there are really kewl. Another one actually they have 2 locations...Aqua World on Gravois...another on Manchester very kewl stores...but a little pricey....

kzlen

Horray!!! I do have a choice!! Goodbye Beldts. :D I'll have to go back to St. Charles and try to find that store. Been years since ive been there but I remeber it being an awesome place. Deffinately going to check out the other stores too.

kimmie

Toungetwster,
You're right about the Tropical World on Watson. They are great guys. I used to buy all of my reptile stuff from them. I also just bought a 55 gal tank with stand from them at a great price. I have dealt with them for years. However they torn out all of their SW tanks before Xmas and are redoing all of them in one room. (Where the birds used to be.) I haven't been there since January, (since they still weren't up and running).
And Aqua World on Manchester - That's right up from my house - been there one time and will never buy from them. The guy behind the counter didn't want to help (and was stoned of his ***). And they had a dead yellow tang floating in a tank. It looked like it had been there awhile. Kid didn't seem to care when I told him about it. I figured if they didn't care about that fish, they probably didn't care about the others. Just my opinion. (and the prices were very high.)
I'm hoping to get to Saltwater City Saturday. I will let you all know.
And thanks so much for all the help on the stores!

witche42

hi there,
theres also andy's animal house off of woodsmill rd.(141) about 2 miles south of manchester rd. its a decent store they sell clams and have some pretty good corals there. just thought i might mention it , i heard you say your close to manchester.
steven

kzlen

Just went to Reef Systems in St. Charles, Friday. Im very impressed. The lady there even asked if I needed help, didnt have to go to her for the help. . I asked her a few questions and she had no problem answering them. The tanks looked clean and the fish were happy. I will be going back to purchase the rest of my LR. Also will be bringing a water sample to be checked, her suggestion. It close to my home and I recommend it if your not happy with the stores near you. Although, you should visit it atleast once anyways.:D

josh

Hi,
Let's see IMO there are really only 2 places worth going to excluding andy's being I haven't been out there.
Clayton pet's for SPS and SWC for softies....although they do have flatworms there so make sure you dip your corals.
I know Andy and his dad Daryl pretty well over at SWC, very knowledable and very friendly. Jan at clayton pets is also a nice and helpful.
Please don't goto belt's, that place is a joke and reef systems isn't much better. For overall knowledge and animal health the two I mentioned are tops.
Oh one other thing, Jan and her hubby are half owners of Walt Smith, so their frags are mostly all walt smith...very nice.