Is anyone using a in tank refugium or hang on back in your reef?

jeffreyyy

Hello,
Are you using an in-tank or HOB refugium? and if so are you happy with it? I'm looking into one of these and would like some feedback on them if possible.
Thank you in advance.
Jeff

A

alexmir

I have a custom made hang on back refugium. I got it for 50 bucks from a local shop. Much cheaper than online ones.
I have it standing on some buckets i stacked behind the tank actually, not actually hanging on the tank. I felt better about standing it on the buckets. I am very happy with it, i have had no problems with it leaking, and i used a
1.5" bulkhead for the return line, whish is really big, but it makes very little noise. Actually less noise than my skimmer, so you cant even hear it.
I was going to use a powerhead to feed water into the refugium. but decided to used my skimmed to feed water into it, that way all of the creatures and macre algea would be getting cleaner water.
so i am very happy with mine. I would recommed shopping around at some local shops, you may find someone who will build it for much cheaper than a store would sell one. I got mine for about what the materials would cost

jeffreyyy

Thanks Alex,
I will take your advice and shop around. Anybody else have any feedback on their HOB or in-tank fuge?
Jeff

nordy

I have an in tank fuge (by CPR) that I used to grow chaeto in my 55 gal tank. It worked great-the chaeto grew like crazy and the fuge kept it out of the DT. The built-in powerhead also worked well. I stoped using it because it was kinda unsightly in my 55 and it was hard to clean algae from the side of the tank where I mounted it w/the suction cups.
Summary-works great, wasn't right for my tank.
PM me if you are interested in buying it-I will give ya a really, really, good price!