Is bubble algae bad??

agentrv007

We found this green bubble algae (?) growing in our tank.
I'm not sure if its bad for the tank or not. It has been growing slowly and is growing near (on the same rock) our green polyps so we're concerned if it will harm them. What can we do to get rid of it if it is bad? Thanks!
please do not put a direct link click on the insert image to insert a picture.
thanks

dragonzim

By itself bubble algae isnt really harmful but it can spread quickly if left in your tank. The bubbles are full of water that contains spores and if they get popped they can make more bubbles. You may be able to pull a lot of it out manually. Sometimes the bubbles are sort of self contained and you can pull them off the rocks without breaking them. If they are really attached well or wedged in dont try to force it. Supposedly, Emerald crabs will eat it, but I've never had any luck with that. If you've got a stubborn one that you can't pull off the rocks yourself I've had some luck using a syringe. Push the needle into the bubble at the same time you are pulling the plunger on the syringe out so that you are sucking all the liquid from inside the bubble into the syringe before it can leak out into your water column.
Hope this helps and welcome to the board!

A

augustwest

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/2625751
By itself bubble algae isnt really harmful but it can spread quickly if left in your tank. The bubbles are full of water that contains spores and if they get popped they can make more bubbles. You may be able to pull a lot of it out manually. Sometimes the bubbles are sort of self contained and you can pull them off the rocks without breaking them. If they are really attached well or wedged in dont try to force it. Supposedly, Emerald crabs will eat it, but I've never had any luck with that. If you've got a stubborn one that you can't pull off the rocks yourself I've had some luck using a syringe. Push the needle into the bubble at the same time you are pulling the plunger on the syringe out so that you are sucking all the liquid from inside the bubble into the syringe before it can leak out into your water column.
Hope this helps and welcome to the board!

Good to know about the spores. I'm definatley the type that picks them off the rock. I just could never figure out why they don't stop coming back. I'll try the syringe method next tim to drain them prior to pullinf them out...
Never had any luck with emerald crabs eating it either...

reefmate75

i have a few bubbles nothing bad, i have the crabbs too and they dont touch it. if left alone it dosent spread to fast but when you start poping them ITS ON!!!! and they will win

mr_x

Originally Posted by AugustWest
http:///forum/post/2626372
Any idea if a good protien skimmer catches the spores?
some of them, but not enough to matter.
the spores are only present at certain times. i've read where a guy examined one to find nothing but nitrates inside. then i've read the opposite. either way, you can take them out safely with your waterchanges. just put the siphon hose that you might use to vacuum your substrate over top of the bubble before you try to remove it. if it pops during removall, everything will get sucked up and out of the tank.

interex216

Anytime i see any simply get a pair of tweezers and lift it off. Just dont squeeze to hard or you'll pop it. ^^