Is coraline algae enough?

neoreef

HI,
I am running a refugium-less 55gal and battling some nasty pink hair algae. I got the protein skimmer and some phosban and I've cut back on my pc lights and my fish are on a diet (less food, only once a day). I vaccuum and pick off the pink fluff weekly.
My ? is about nitrates. If I succeed in ridding my tank of green and pink hair, will the corraline algae be enough to consume the nitrates, or will that be a problem. I have a lot of coraline, my old LR (60 lb) is covered in variuos shades of purple, as well as the back of my tank and all the plastic powerheads, and my new LRs (10 lb) are getting there.
If I succeed, the coraline will be the only plant life in the tank. Will it be enough?
nitrogen in all forms-0
phosphate 0.1
dKH 10
Ca 410
pH 8 ish
5 healthy small fish, 2 crabs, 2 shrimp, xenia, toadstool, zoos, shrooms. Want to get the tank basics done before adding more inverts.
Thanks in advance, Kathy

bobbravo2

are you running a DSB? this will greatly help in denitrification, corraline will not. A refuge would help too.
Feeding: if you have an outbreak of algae, you should cut down your feeding to 1-2x a week. Fish can go a long
time without food.
HTH

pacopetty

Feeding once a day is still too much. I only feed mine every 2 or 3 days and very little when I do feed them.

neoreef

REally? When I cut back on feeding, my fish just go into a frenzy when I do feed them. they used to be a little picky about what they ate, now they eat anything ...
No, I don't have deep sand or a sump/refugium or anthing helpful like that. I am limited on space and my hubby freaks at spilled water, so I am trying to avoid that.

reefer44

well you can feed them everyday....I do and have low phospate and nitrate...but the key is jsut a little pinch of food for a lot fish everyday
:thinking: Hope your algae problem subsides
Brad