is ecosystem worth it?

sea n life

right now i have a emp 400 bio wheel filter i was wondering what i need to buy i want a reef with alot of fish ive heard about the aquafuge by cpr and i just want your input on what i should do or if i should try and make one thanks guys

ssweet1

They are definately worth having and also you will need a really good skimmer especially if you want alot of fish. Get some good macro algea going and you will have pods in no time, the bigger fuge the better!

1journeyman

Originally Posted by sea n life
right now i have a emp 400 bio wheel filter i was wondering what i need to buy i want a reef with alot of fish ive heard about the aquafuge by cpr and i just want your input on what i should do or if i should try and make one thanks guys
A lot of fish is relative... especially in a Reef tank. You simply can't put the amount of fish in a reef tank that you can keep in a freshwater tank.
Marine fish are more sensitive to overcrowding, imho. Putting "a lot" is asking for disater.

jer4916

i have an ecosystem filter, i wouldn't trade it for anything. WORTH EVERY PENNY...people cut them down and say bad things about the miracle mud, funny thing is if you ask the people they've never used the product...they're just repeating other people because they're scared to use them. I literally NEVER dose my tank i dont even test my tank chemically anymore, just add ro water. everything in my tank does wonderfully.
just my .02
~Chris

devildog01

Chris, does it have a sump to put heaters and protein skimmers and such in? I want to get one, but I dont want clutter in my tank. What gallon sizes, if they do, do they come in?

snailheave

i have an eco-system. it's a glorified refugium + sump combo. very nice to own if you have the money; if you don't have the money there are cheaper means to achieve the same result.

snailheave

heater no problem. just put it parallelly with the water line and near the sand bed.
skimmer, depends on model. aquac's models are not likely to work. i hang mine on back of main tank.

jer4916

Originally Posted by DevilDog01
Chris, does it have a sump to put heaters and protein skimmers and such in? I want to get one, but I dont want clutter in my tank. What gallon sizes, if they do, do they come in?

It has tons of room for my heater and skimmer, reminder ecosystems say they dont need a skimmer, i run one because i like them...i have an extermal pump...i could run an internal one if wanted to....but they are great....mine is 35 gallons...i run 30lbs of miracle mud i also have live rock in there as well for the pods and what not...plus i run calerpa...so its a rather good set up in my opinon...
grand total for an ecosystem is going to be around $1000 ... mine for my tank came to that...but im also running an ecosystem 3612 ....now mind you i added in the pump and light...but yeah.
best of luck
~chris

ophiura

Originally Posted by Jer4916
u ask the people they've never used the product...they're just repeating other people because they're scared to use them.
~Chris

Most people have a budget, and few see the need to spend so much money on something that is not necessary when other things work just as nicely and using a very similar approach.
There are several criticisms of the ecosystem plan, and lots of "miracle in a bottle" claims associated with it. They are very hesitant to say much about what is actually IN their "miracle mud" and so I am suspicious. If it is nothing more than something like laterite - a common freshwater planted tank substrate - then there is no way I would put it in my tank, personally.
It may work for you, that is fantastic. More power to you! But please do not accuse people of being "scared" to use it. Far from it. You can do research into a product without having to try it, and make decisions. I can simply find a better use for $1000

A simple search for "miracle mud" will turn up several threads on the topic.

jer4916

Originally Posted by ophiura
Most people have a budget, and few see the need to spend so much money on something that is not necessary when other things work just as nicely and using a very similar approach.
There are several criticisms of the ecosystem plan, and lots of "miracle in a bottle" claims associated with it. They are very hesitant to say much about what is actually IN their "miracle mud" and so I am suspicious. If it is nothing more than something like laterite - a common freshwater planted tank substrate - then there is no way I would put it in my tank, personally.
It may work for you, that is fantastic. More power to you! But please do not accuse people of being "scared" to use it. Far from it. You can do research into a product without having to try it, and make decisions. I can simply find a better use for $1000

A simple search for "miracle mud" will turn up several threads on the topic.

Again you have not used the product, you dont trust the company, you said it yourself you wont put it in your tank...maybe they dont let people know...so other companies cant market it?...something i would do personally...if someone asked me whats in my miracle product...no chance i would tell them whats in it....keep the buisness for myself. :)
the product works. it works in mine, works in all of my friends, even my lfs uses the stuff and no one has a problem with it....and honestly ..90% of us dont dose!...so actully its cheaper in the long run!
~Chris

1journeyman

I don't dose or use miracle mud...
I use a protein skimmer. Sorry, no amount of "miracle" anything is going to convince me that all the impurities my skimmer pulls out of the tank can be safely broken down and biodegraded in my tank.
I'm all for trying new things, but Like Ophiura said, without some scientific data to back up their claims I won't be trying it. Not until I see some evidence can I justify the expense. This trade is very under-regulated. We've all seen products that promise the GBR in your bedroom. Very often they are junk-in-a-bottle. New products have to prove success, not ask for "trust".