Is Ecotech Marine Vortech worth the Prize ?

ivasawajin

My 550G reef needs alot of flow , i dont own SPS but LPS need flow too and i dont want dead spots , everything is waaay too expensive here and the wave making thing is new here and my tank needs it cuz the old static like powerheads are not very reef friendly when it comes too sensetive corals and a huge tank . so do these Ecotech marine pumps really worth it ?

acrylic51

There nice....Expensive, can I say their worth every penny...NO....There's equal competition with Tunze.....Honestly I've owned both and actually leaning going back to Tunze.....Take a search around and both are reputable companies, but when I see bearing issues and quality of bearings used by Eco.....Makes me question how long before the other models start showing signs of the same issue.....
Some will tell you customer service is great....I will tell you first hand sucky....Where as Roger with Tunze incredible.....Bad thing for Eco with me I technically didn't want service wanted advice and couldn't get a simple reply. Check out the Tunze 6255 and the new controller 7096, they will definitely give Vortech a run for the money. Another draw back I see depending how your setup is the Vortech are mount and you have no adjust ability or aiming ability which IMO is a con.....Tunze on the other hand can be aimed, but you have to deal with the cord......Vortech cord length lack IMO.....Great for people with average size setups, but to me when it comes to a customized setup where you want your controls located away from the tank, the cord is short....Then to get the cord lengthened you have to send it back to Eco to have them extend it for $25.00 and shipping, when they could just supply the parts or info to do it yourself.....Tunze on the other hand plenty of cord for routing to fit your needs.....
Again each pump has their advantages and disadvantages, but it all comes down to is what features are important to you......

ivasawajin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/394372/is-ecotech-marine-vortech-worth-the-prize#post_3510148
There nice....Expensive, can I say their worth every penny...NO....There's equal competition with Tunze.....Honestly I've owned both and actually leaning going back to Tunze.....Take a search around and both are reputable companies, but when I see bearing issues and quality of bearings used by Eco.....Makes me question how long before the other models start showing signs of the same issue.....
Some will tell you customer service is great....I will tell you first hand sucky....Where as Roger with Tunze incredible.....Bad thing for Eco with me I technically didn't want service wanted advice and couldn't get a simple reply. Check out the Tunze 6255 and the new controller 7096, they will definitely give Vortech a run for the money. Another draw back I see depending how your setup is the Vortech are mount and you have no adjust ability or aiming ability which IMO is a con.....Tunze on the other hand can be aimed, but you have to deal with the cord......Vortech cord length lack IMO.....Great for people with average size setups, but to me when it comes to a customized setup where you want your controls located away from the tank, the cord is short....Then to get the cord lengthened you have to send it back to Eco to have them extend it for $25.00 and shipping, when they could just supply the parts or info to do it yourself.....Tunze on the other hand plenty of cord for routing to fit your needs.....
Again each pump has their advantages and disadvantages, but it all comes down to is what features are important to you......
Tunze is way too big , even if it works good ,it looks huge so no . and about the costumer service ... here all of these eqiupments are imported and that means %000.00 services .

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvasawaJin http:///t/394372/is-ecotech-marine-vortech-worth-the-prize#post_3510242
Tunze is way too big , even if it works good ,it looks huge so no . and about the costumer service ... here all of these eqiupments are imported and that means %000.00 services .
Don't know what you mean by to big.....The 6255's aren't any bigger than a Vortech.....The MP60 by no means is invisible in the tank.....The wet side is all but 4" wide and sticks out roughly 3"-3 1/2" and then you have the exact same dimensions on the outside of the tank as well......

Not sure what you mean by service....I'm quite sure if you couldn't get service from Tunze.....Vortech would be the same issue.....

ivasawajin

i mean that service is not a concern cuz there are no services period . tunze's wave boxes are a big box . there are not much variation . i think there is only one model on vortech here . mp40 or 60 , not really sure yet .its like getting durgs . the dealers ( LFS ) have what they have and you dont have anyother choice , unlessyou want to visit another country .

ivasawajin

I read reviews and they say vortech is stronger than the tunze . i think i need 2 so here it equals $1200 equals the value of 400$ of a year ago equals empy pockets .

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvasawaJin http:///t/394372/is-ecotech-marine-vortech-worth-the-prize#post_3510296
I read reviews and they say vortech is stronger than the tunze . i think i need 2 so here it equals $1200 equals the value of 400$ of a year ago equals empy pockets .
HaHa......I own both.....Could care less what the review said, because when the truth be told there is no "set" method to determine the actually flow or industry standard.....Possible read both sides of reviews as well.....I think a major flaw or a detractor IMHO is the test was setup, run and funded by Eco.....Would appear rather bias to some parties.....I've seen and used both in my tank and using small 6101's against the "big gun" MP60.....They smaller Tunzes held their own, with that said put 2 equally size Tunzes against Vortech's even ball game......
For the record though I think that report or review you read should have mentioned that Tunze was and did implement means to get the numbers where Vortech said they should be.....Wide flow grills was basically the only change.....Check out the flow paths; graphs, and you'll see the 2 technically aren't comparable being that their flow patterns or types of pumps are different to a degree....Look at how wide a Vortech is from the onset compared to the width or opening of a Tunze, so when or if you'd measure lets say 12" from the pump which do you think would be stronger........Tunze also did suggest a fair more accurate testing method that all parties involved concluded would be the most accurate, but funny Eco did cough up funds to have that testing done, since it appeared IMO and quite a few others they were taking a cheap shot at a reputable company.......
As far as pricing....I can't imagine the Vortechs are any cheaper than a Tunze......Vortech MP60's here go for roughly $775.00 USD, vs a Tunze 6255 for about $674.00.......Big price difference and you wouldn't have the same opinion or thoughts you have now.....

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvasawaJin http:///t/394372/is-ecotech-marine-vortech-worth-the-prize#post_3510295
i mean that service is not a concern cuz there are no services period . tunze's wave boxes are a big box . there are not much variation . i think there is only one model on vortech here . mp40 or 60 , not really sure yet .its like getting durgs . the dealers ( LFS ) have what they have and you dont have anyother choice , unless you want to visit another country .
I never mentioned anything about a Tunze wavebox......Technically they aren't super big.....5"x4"x11"H....Again I point out actually look at an MP60....for those that tell you it's invisible.....Their kidding you, they are just as obtrusive as any other PH other than there's no cord inside the tank, and run a MP60 wide open....and have them ramping up and down. If it's in a living room they won't be running long, because of the noise.....Personally I don't find the noise bothersome, but tank isn't in my living room as well.....Take a look around and read the threads about noise, but it's justifiable because the pump is outside the tank, compared to inside the tank.
Again pointing pros and cons.....You talk about money and such, and you dredged up that crappy review which again IMO was a bashing, read over on the big forum and see the guys having issues with bearings......Hmmmmm now why would a company charging that kind of cash for their product be using cheap, crappy bearings.....Ohhhh and guys are taking them apart and know what the deal is, and if an "average" person could dissect and see what the issue is and find a solution, why wouldn't Eco step up and upgrade the bearings on manufacturing side......Again there are pros and cons to both sides.

acrylic51

Depends on what your tolerance is for noise.....Personally on my tank they are the noisiest piece of equipment.....With that said if your running them at 100% and ramping them up and down it's very noticeable, but if your ramping range isn't extreme I don't think it's quite as noticeable. Running them wide open 100% yes there is a whine.....I find running them 100% wide open is definitely more tolerable than the ramping up and down noise......The noise issue isn't isolated to just the MP60, but you have to remember all pumps make noise......

ivasawajin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/394372/is-ecotech-marine-vortech-worth-the-prize#post_3510387
Depends on what your tolerance is for noise.....Personally on my tank they are the noisiest piece of equipment.....With that said if your running them at 100% and ramping them up and down it's very noticeable, but if your ramping range isn't extreme I don't think it's quite as noticeable. Running them wide open 100% yes there is a whine.....I find running them 100% wide open is definitely more tolerable than the ramping up and down noise......The noise issue isn't isolated to just the MP60, but you have to remember all pumps make noise......
my tank is almost half the size of my room and its really noisy , 3 skimmers ( 2 old ones ) , 2 over flows , 6 power heads are very noisy . will the MP60 make a fuss ? and should i buy 2 or 3 ?

acrylic51

If your system is already noisy I would buy them......Like I said before I really didn't mind the ramping up and down, but I'm not behind my tank 24/7, but it was actually neat to hear them go up and down and watch the tank. If you already have a noisy system you probably won't even know they are running.....On your size tank definitely 3, and I would run 2 together on 1 end and the other against on the opposite end......Basically 2 would be synched together with the other one anti synched.

ivasawajin

3 ? but i have 6 other powerheads . two 1500GPH and 3 1000GPH and two 8000LPH return pumps with accelerators at the end . still need 3 ?

btldreef

On that large of a tank, chances are your equipment is already noisy.
I wouldn't run them at 100%, because a) it's usually not needed and b) they're noisier that way.

acrylic51

I would opt 3 and get rid of the other ones you have.....Just because it's a large system doesn't necessarily equate to noisy.....Mine is probably quieter than most small systems......By design.....

ivasawajin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/394372/is-ecotech-marine-vortech-worth-the-prize#post_3510574
I would opt 3 and get rid of the other ones you have.....Just because it's a large system doesn't necessarily equate to noisy.....Mine is probably quieter than most small systems......By design.....
mines noisy cuz i cant efford good new "Not made in china " type of eqiupment . i got decent stuff but some are old and some are not the slick type so my tank is an almost noisy tank IMO . its quiet for its size .