Is Flouride bad for a reef tank??

maxx

I noticed recently that when I buy drinking water from the store it advertises that it had added FLouride. They just started putting that on the label. Is it bad for a tank??
Thanks,
Maxx

keitho

well, i don't know that much about fluoride in reef aquariums, but let's use a little common sense here. your teeth are calcifications produced by your body. we all know that fluoride promotes healthy teeth. if would seem that fluoride would either be beneficial or have no effect on the calcification processes that occur in a reef tank. furthermore, you SHOULD NOT be using tap water or anything similar to it in your reef tank. tapwater can contain lethal amounts of ionic copper and other invertebrate poisons. purchase a RO/DI unit for your tank...it will thank you for it... :)

kris walker

Keitho takes the side of some in the posting community that tap water will not work in a reef tank. In general, tap water is not clean enough for reef tanks. However, there are many communities with excellent tap water quality, and therefore using a tap water filter to remove any minor undesirables there can be just as effective as using RO. Everything's not black and white, although most things are. :)
sam

krazzydart

Originally posted by BurnNSpy:
<STRONG>Yes.
BurnNSpy</STRONG>
do you care to explane your point MR SHARK!!!!!!!!!!!(BurnNSpy)....... :p if yes ,,,, why??? is it because the fish do not go to the dentist :D (lol) Most water has a bit of floride in it my fish seem not to mind..... i guess a little is not bad ,,,, but I run my water through a r/o unit with a prefilter on it!!!! ;)
[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: krazzydart ]

adrian

For the first 3 years I kept a reef tank I used tap water, nothing added other than dechlorinator, flouride is added to the water here, and the only ill effect I noticed was a little more algae growth than is present now with the use of Ro water and I contribute that to the various nutrients. Im no chemist, but I dont know of anyone around here having problems with using tap water in both marine and freshwater tanks. Of course RO water is still optimal.