Is it a bad idea to put a mirror on the back on a tank?

hallzy

I have a 29 gallon and I was thinking about getting a custom made mirror to fit the back of my tank. I thought it would make the tank look bigger as well as making it easier to see things that are in the back of the tank. I haven't really heard much about it as far as if it has any effect on the fish. Any help?

salt life

Originally Posted by hallzy
http:///forum/post/3005481
I have a 29 gallon and I was thinking about getting a custom made mirror to fit the back of my tank. I thought it would make the tank look bigger as well as making it easier to see things that are in the back of the tank. I haven't really heard much about it as far as if it has any effect on the fish. Any help?
IMO the fish would get freaked out by seeing themselves and might feel threatened from seeing the same species. I wouldn't do it if it was my tank, but to each their own.

bigal0221

I agree, I think that it may cause a problem with the fish seeing their reflection. I have seen my Sargassum Trigger attack the glass from time to time at his reflection so I know with this guy a mirror would be a bad thing.

tang4me

http:///forum/post/3005481
petsmart is selling tank with mirrors as the backing. I didn't like the look. I'd get tired of looking at my face.

koldsouth

OK, Heres an opinion on Mirror back,, I have a 29 gallon mirror back tank, They are called show tanks in petshops. I have 2 false percs, Royal Grama, LM Belnny and yellow goby. I have not had any of them give a second look at it, Except for when the pair of Clowns got put in. And that was only for a couple of days.
You also have to figure that eventualy it will be covered with Coraline Algea anyway.
I like it because you can see whats going on in the back of your tank, It also lets more light get to the bottom of the tank, Caves are not as dark towards the back. It's easyer to find lost fish.
The drawbacks on it are, As you can see in the last 2 pics and it shows up every little bit of Algea growing on it. But it you keep just the top part scraped off like I do its not that bad. and also you have to watch the pics you take with the flash on, Most of what I take is with flash off. and watch the angle.

pezenfuego

Yep, eventually it will be pink and purple anyway. Really, it doesn't pose a problem. Fish may not be smart enough to realize it immediately, but eventually they learn to recognize their reflections. No offense as koldsouth has a beautiful tank, but it looks like the mirror may also cause the tank to screw up pictures by causing a glare.

dont waste ur money on a custom mirror when u can easily cut the mirror finish background for about 10 bucks...one side is mirror finish the other is a dark blue metallic finish..+1 on seeinf every bit of alagae and fish tend to flare fins frequently when seeing reflection.

vishnuborg

You can just buy a bottle of spray-on low E, a silver salt that is water resistant, but reflects light. Buy an acrylic sheet, and coat the back with low E, then spread gray silicon on the back. Now you can position it in the back of your tank. Low E is to be applied in coats, and the typical mirror has 80-90 coats on it. You can coat higher for a more pristine look. Make sure that the silicon doesn't set before you place it at the back drop. You can also use starphire glass for a clearer image. Just a fun DIY job that looks better than a store bought one.

gregghia

Get yourself a roll of mylar... comes like wrapping paper. You can mylar the back glass and the canopy for serious reflection. Once the glass has purpled up just take it off... its cheap and you can tape it in place..

hlcroghan

Originally Posted by gregghia
http:///forum/post/3005955
Get yourself a roll of mylar... comes like wrapping paper. You can mylar the back glass and the canopy for serious reflection. Once the glass has purpled up just take it off... its cheap and you can tape it in place..
Great suggestion!!!

hallzy

I called a local mirror store here in town and asked them how much it would cost to make me a custom sized mirror and gave them the size of the back of my tank and he told me 20 bucks, so really its not even that expensive! I plan on getting clips and clipping it onto the back of the tank! Thank you for all the money saving suggestions!
If it wasn't so cheap to get an actual mirror made, I would definitely be trying a few of those suggestions! I would just rather have an actual mirror because it will never need replaced again, so in the long run, it would end up being cheaper and maintenance free!

pezenfuego

http:///forum/post/3006266
I called a local mirror store here in town and asked them how much it would cost to make me a custom sized mirror and gave them the size of the back of my tank and he told me 20 bucks, so really its not even that expensive! I plan on getting clips and clipping it onto the back of the tank! Thank you for all the money saving suggestions!
If it wasn't so cheap to get an actual mirror made, I would definitely be trying a few of those suggestions! I would just rather have an actual mirror because it will never need replaced again, so in the long run, it would end up being cheaper and maintenance free!
Well enjoy the mirror while it lasts...but once the coraline comes in you'll probably like that look better anyway.
Good luck, the tank looks nice

jpa0741

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3007619
Well enjoy the mirror while it lasts...but once the coraline comes in you'll probably like that look better anyway.
Good luck, the tank looks nice

Why does everyone say this. Doesn't anyone scarpe their glass anymore. IMO tanks look better when you keep the back panel clean. Your corals will pop much more.

E

eric b 125

+1
i can't stand when tanks get covered in coraline. i like the look of a clean black background. it's all a matter of personal opinion.
as far as the mirrored background goes: i had to set up an extra qt in a flash for hypo and i put a 55 in front of a mirrored wall in my house. my tangs automatically flared up and acted super weird. i left the lights off for the night, and even in the morning my hippo was still flaring his fin to his reflection. my other fish were okay, it was just my hippo and yellow tang. i tossed a black background on, and they were fine within minutes. this is just my experience. i wouldnt glue the mirror on until you are sure that your fish will handle it okay.

hallzy

I have a blue hippo, so maybe a mirror isnt the best idea? How long did u leave the mirror on there? I wouldn't think blue hippos would have a problem because they can be kept in groups and are usually peaceful! But yellows on the other hand can be mean! I dont plan on gluing it anyways, i was just gonna buy clips and glue them on so I can take the mirror on and off. But I agree with you eric, i have to keep my glass cleaned off!

uneverno

hehe,
welcome to the 80's. I had a 75 gal mirrorback tank back in the day. We knew nothing about coraline then - all algae was bad as far as we knew at that time.
Turns up the Billy Idol.

pezenfuego

It's a matter of opinion I guess. Cleaning the back of my tank is close to impossible, so maybe I just used too much empathy. In any case, whatever blows your hair back.

jennln

Originally Posted by FalsePercula26
http:///forum/post/3005796
dont waste ur money on a custom mirror when u can easily cut the mirror finish background for about 10 bucks...one side is mirror finish the other is a dark blue metallic finish...
i have this on the back of my predator tank. It's good for one thing...I can see behind the rocks when cleaning the tank which helps me clean up after my messy eaters. I can also keep an eye on what's going on "back there". Other than that I really don't like it much at all. Now I've never had an issue of anyone trying to attack their reflection (triggers, wrasse, eel, maroon). However, everything on the glass seems to appear tenfold and overall it just isn't as clean looking as the tanks I have with black backs. (Even though this is probably the cleanest tank of all with the daily work I do on it to keep everything in check) I'd love to replace it but unfortunately until I move the tank that's just not an option