Is it normal?

hatessushi

I just added the L/R and L/S a week ago. The brown algea is growing on most of the rock but on some of the rock there are clear (air?) bubbles that form and break off to surface. I don't know what this is. Is it a product of the algea?

seasalt101

the algae is normal it will go away the air can be leeching out of the sand or the rock that is jmo though

meisacao

Brown algae is normal as long as your tank is not overrun by it. If you used tap water to fill the tank you will fight brown algae for ages!!! Or if you have too much sunlight hitting the tank you will get tons of green and brown algae.

tx reef

The brown "algae" is actually diatoms.
Perfectly normal for a new tank. It can take up to a month to go away. I know it is ugly, but it just a part of "growing up" for your tank.

hatessushi

I wasn't so concerned about the algea, my main concern was the bubbles. It seems that I only get the bubbles when the lights are on. I am leaving the lights off now and is looks like tons of pods are eating the algea off the side of the tank. I am still waiting for the cycle. the ammonia and nitrites are at 0 still but my nitrates show 20. Maybe somewhere along the way I missed noticing the cycle. It's been only 10 days since I put the L/R and L/S in. I am in no hurryto get the cleaning crew in, I just thought maybe I'm missing the cylcle.

hatessushi

Oh, and I use RO/DI water from my 100 gallon a day system. I also use it to clean and anything to do with the tank. It's a 90 gallon uniquarium so to basically about 70 gallons usable area and the back part has a wet dry which I removed the bioballs from and added L/R pieces. It kinda like a built in fuge. There's 90lbs uncured L/R and 80lbs of L/S.