Is it ok to add a perc or maroon clown?

francis

I have in my tank an african clown. I once added smaller african, but was chased by the bigger african and died after three days. Not sure if that causes the death. My african is 2" big. Is it safe to add a perc or maroon? thank you!

viper_930

If you're not willing to give it up, then possibly yes. You can try another smaller african if you want, the last one may have been female.
Generally it's not a good idea to mix different species of clowns in a tank.

francis

You mean i should buy smaller, not bigger? I remember before, i bought together with my african a tomatoe clown. They didn't chase each other but the tomato died because of ich.

viper_930

Yes, smaller not bigger.
Clownfish start life as juveniles, neither male nor female. Then the most dominant clown turns into female, and the second most dominant turns to male. A female cannot change back to a male or juvenile. But a juvenile or male can change to female. Two females will fight.

overanalyzer

the other thing to do is when you introduce the smaller clown of hte same species (what exactly do you mean african clown??) put it in a breeder's tank inside your main tank to let the two get used to each other. This will minimize the fighting and allow the fish toget acclimated without running for it's life.
If you want a pair though it is often times easier to return the solitary clown and buy a pre-matched pair or two small ones and let them grow.
Good luck.