Is it possible my tank doesn't need to cycle after I drained it and left the sand in

af330i

Here is my deal, I have a 150 saltwater fish only tank that after one year I had to take down for about 2 weeks and then restart.
I filled up a 10 gallon tank using a lot of my 1 yr old sand (about 1/4 of the 10 gallon filled with sand), I used existing tank water and put my fish in it with a filter.
I dumped out the rest of the tank water and left my tank sitting with some sand with about 1 inch of water left in it. I took 4 garbage bags and put as much sand as I could in it which then sat for 2 weeks with no filters or anythig else. My bio balls sat and dried up in a bag by itself ...
2 weeks go by and now I put all of the sand back in the tank from the garbage bags, fill up the 150 with fresh water, put in the product needed to kill the chlorine, set up my sump, put a ton of salt in and 6 to 8 hours later after I had everything going well and the salt level alright I put my 5 fish that survived in the big tank along with all of the sand from the 10 gallon tank.
Hoping for a cycle I buy some tough fish like a big cherry grouper, a dog face puffer plus the 5 fish I already had(2 clowns, 1 Wrasse (forgot which one) 1 diamond goby & 1 huma trigger and have been over feeding them for about 1 week. My Ammonia and Nitrite have stayed -0-, my ph is 8.2 and finally today for the first time I decided to test my Nitrate, to my surprise it is 40 which tells me that maybe my tank didn't need to cycle ...
Is this possible or should I hang out to see if I go through a cycle ...

squidd

Most likely some sort of ammonia and nitrite peaks will be coming....
Maybe not "killers" but they will be high enough to cause some concern (not to mention stress on the fish and the resultant "secondary disease and parasite infestations)....
2 weeks is not a long time for bacteria as Long as sand was wet and you did have a decent amount of "established" live sand transfered from the 10...
However...ther will most likely be a good bit of flora and fauna die off in the "bagged" sand and the decomposing corpses will be challenging the bacteria available...
Then you "added" to your fish load..???? Why buy a "tough" fish...so it survives and all the others die...???
and then the "overfeeding"...
At this point with a disturbed tank you should be "minimizing" feedings keeping bio load as low as possible and ready to act with prepared/aged NSW for WCs to dilute the elevated levels rather than trying to "cause" a cycle...
You "might" have gotten by without a cycle and brought the tank back with careful husbandry...but you pretty much set yourself up for a challange...
Hope your ready for it...

hatessushi

IMO when you put the sand back in the tank and added fresh chlorinated water everything died off. You then dechlorinated the water and added salt.
I think you are in for a cycle and most of the fish will die unless you do water changes to keep the ammonia, and nitritesw down. If done right from this point on I think you can still have a high survival rate. the nitrates were prbably already there in the sand if it was wet still. I hope everything survives and good luck

af330i

Thanks for the replies ... 9 days later and still Ammonia and Nitrite is at -0-
Not that I'm in the clear but so far it looks good that I might be cycled ... though I am really surprised by this.