Is it possible

jawdubb

Is it possible to come across metal halide ligting setups inexpensively? I love the hobby and would love to move even further into it, but as I have already spent so much money on it I would love to find a break on these lights. I have a standard 55 gallon tank (48" long) and I am running compact florescent lighting now. I would really like to be able to move into some of the more beautiful corals that require the higher lighting as well as some of the different clams, but I am stuck at the moment with a lack of funds. Any information on how to get a setup or set one up myself would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also if you have an extra set-up you want to offload for a decent price I am in the market.

patandlace

If you have a local reef club you may be able to find someone selling a used setup for a good price.

emm0909

Retro fits will lower your cost. I suggest the Tek T5 lights by Sunlight Supply. SPS will thrive fine under them but the real catch is that the Geisman bulbs are $20-$25 and they last 12-13 months!
They make a wide array of types of bulbs as well.
I don't know about other bulbs. If you get T5 lamps GET GEISMAN BULBS.

nate487

i have a 175w 13k mh with A magnetic ballast that im willin to sell. the bulb is 3 months old. the whole setup looks brand new.

mscarpena

I set up an entire MH set up for $270.00. All new components and electronic ballasts. I found the ballasts on close out of $40.00 each. Look for deals they are out there.