IS IT POSSIBLE?

new jack

I'M SETTING UP A 20 GALLON WITH A COUPLE OF FISH AS OF RIGHT NOW. IM RUNNING A BIO-WHEEL 330 WITH ACTIVATED CARBON CARTRIDGES AND BIOBALLS IN THE BACK. I HAVE 2O LBS. OF LIVE SAND(BAGGED ***** KIND) WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO PUT ANY TYPE OF CORALS OR ANENOMES OR FEATHER DUSTERS IN THERE WITHOUT PURCHASING A PROTEIN SKIMMER. IF SO,I WILL BUILD UP A LIVE ROCK COLLECTION OVER A COUPLE MONTHS TO LET MY TANK SETTLE AND THEN PUT THE CORALS OR ANENOMES IN. I HAVE SPACE FOR 2 18 INCH BULBS. WHAT KIND OF BULBS SHOULS I PUT IN AND WHAT KIND OF LIVE STOCK SHOULD I GET THAT IS HARDY AND DOESN'T NEED THAT MUCH LIGHT. ALSO I'VE SEEN CHEMICAL PRODUCTS THAT DO SOME OF THE FUNCTIONS OF A PROTEIN SKIMMER SHOULD I GET THESE AND WHAT KIND. I JUST WANT MY HEAP OF LIVE ROCK TO BE DECORATED AND NOT SO BARE. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

pbuckler

Some people might say it is possible. I currently am filtering my water with a skimmer and I have a refugium. I have noticed that when I have a large amount of macroalgae in the refugium my skimmer does not skim anything at all. I would suggest that you be very careful on what you are putting into your tank. GO SLOW, I know it is hard to do, you want to go out and by fish and corals for your new tank. You must be careful not to overload your tank. Next, use RO water, this cotains very low levels of phosphate and other dissolved materials. Since you do not have a skimmer you will have to be careful of your phosphate levels.
About macro algae, you can add a little, just remember that the stuff will grow all over the place. Some people have a problem controlling it. But it will do wonders for your nitrate cycle. The algae will absorb the nitrates and other biological wastes, that the protein skimmer would normally take care of.

pbuckler

The lights are really up to your imagination and wallet. I would suggest a 10000K super daylight and an actinic. This will give you enought light to have mushrooms and other soft corals. Later if you want to get different corals remember to see what kind of lighting they require. You will not have a light to water ratio of 1.5:1, that is not a very good ratio for a lot of corals. I started in your situation and have slowly graduated to Metal Halides to give me a ratio of 5.7:1 that is a 250 watt light over a 44 gallon aquarium.

brian'sreef

You can in fact run a twenty gallon tank without a protien skimmer you can run just about anytank without a protein skimmer as long as you have some else to control your levels.. as posted caulerpas are a good way to do this..i'd steer clear of grape though it spreads very quickly and without something to eat it it will over run the tank.. try some proliferia or halimeda or plaspoides.. something just not grape.. unless you want to ..your tank..get plenty of detritivores in there too. .serpent stars.. nassarius snails..bristle worms..etc.
for lighting i'd go with a 20" PC.. you'll probably end up spending over a hundred for it, but if you want corals.. and as for coral..i'd go with some polyps..star or button.. maybe a toadstool leather ...and some mushrooms.. perhaps an sps if you want but it may very raplidly outgrow your tank..
as posted above go slow.. let you tank balance out every time you add something new. and only add a couple things if not one at a time.. do a good cycle and have fun..
Brian

new jack

THANKS TO ALL. I WILL EVENTUALLY GO WITH A 20" PC BUT FOR NOW I'LL STICK WITH THE 10000K AND AN ACTINIC. I PLANNED ON GETTING THE STAR AND SNAILS ANYWAY BUT WHERE CAN I PURCHASE THE ALGAE YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT AND WHAT KIND OF CARE DOES IT NEED. ALSO, I READ THAT WHEN CERTAIN CORALS OR ANENOMES DIE THEY CAN KILL EVERYTHING IN YOUR TANK. IS THIS TRUE AND IF SO DO ANY OF THE ONES SUGGESTED DO THIS.

new jack

SORRY I FORGOT TO ASK A COUPLE QUESTIONS. WHEN WOULD BE THE BEST TIME TO PUT IN THE ALGAE, DURING CYCLE OR AFTER CYCLE OR RIGHT BEFORE I GET MY CORALS. ALSO THE CORAL BRYAN SUGGESTED, WAS THAT WITH AN ACTINIC AND 10000K OR WITH THE 20" PC. THANKS AGAIN