Is it worth it

tsunami boy

So I am new to this whole saltwater aquarium thing but I was finding myself drawn to the saltwater section of ***** all the time. So I have been looking into the hobby and I'm finding that it is a very enjoyable hobby. Now I've had a freshwater 3og planted tank for three years now. I have deffintely had my ups and downs due to my level of intrest but it has stayed up and running the whole time. Now my problem is I'm very poor at the moment and also I will be gooding to school in 2.5 years so I wouldn't want to start something that I pour all my time and money into just to let it go when I go to school. So I could countinue my freshwater aquarium which has recently become more intersting due to some new Cichlids or start a new saltwater aquarium that isn't too expensive and that I can use some of my already existing equipment (Penguin 330 biowheel filter, two heaters and a cheap flourscent light). Also the tank would have to be maintaniable on a basic level (meaning that the tank would not be so fragile that I would have to devote myuch more time to the tank than I already do). I was thinking if I did do a saltwater aquarium it would be a fish with LR set up, or something along those lines. So I'm at a fork and I was wondering what choice you think would be best.

alf3482

Well when getting into SW from FW. My advice is to not confuse the two. they run nothing a like. Cheap and SW don't mix. You will have to spend more time with your SW tank then you would 10 FW. I have done both many years. I too thought how hard can it be I've been doing FW 20 years and boy was I clueless. My first suggestion would be to buy some realy good books. This will help give you food for thought. Just as a rough estiment, think $35 to $50 per gal of tank for set up. Of course depending on weather you use all the fancy gadgets or not the price can go up. But FO will be a little cheaper than Reef because of less lighting required and no need for a CA reactor.
If your a DIY type person you can save more. Building your on stand, canopy, skimmer, sump ect. HTH

tsunami boy

Thank you alf for replying to my message and now seems that a fish only tank is the only logical way to go, if I decide to go saltly. Now I always kind of thought that a fish only tank is somewhat boring but I guess that if you have the right fish it can be spectacular.
But I'm still curious whether I can use my Penguin 330 filter and my cheap flourscent light. I also have a 20 gallon tank I could use as a sump.
Now I'm wondering what kinds of fish would make it worth the trouble of converting my 30 gal. planted freshwater tank to a fish only tank. And I don't know if I want aggressive fish or a community tank whatever people feel look and do really well in a fish only tank. And could I have a few Inverts in there too?
I really wondering what I need to buy equipment wise to make the conversion. And again is it worth it if I'm only going to have it for 2.5 more years.

ohscc

This is a very expensive hobby and very time consuming as I am sure others on board will tell you. If you don't have the time and money as you stated above I would advise against going into this hobby. Just my .02.

rockster

When in 2 years you will be going to school, starting a SW tank is not a good idea. The hobby is very fascinating and the chances of you being distractred from school work is very real. Not to mention the expense. IMO, it is better to do good in school, finish quickly and make money. In the meantime, read about reefkeeping during school break to keep you inspired and abreast with the latest techno. Resist the temptation of starting one now, take your time. The ocean will not dry up...not in this lifetime.;)

sistrmary

You could go to Wal*Mart and get one of those 10-20gal desktop tanks w/light/hood, and filter for 25 dollars and you could set up a baby tank with a small damsel, a starfish, some crabs/shrimp/snails and some low-light mushrooms. Just get some small stuff that you can take with you easily in a small cooler. Smaller tanks require a bit more maintenence, but they're also a whole lot cheaper lol And you'll find that the saltwater doesn't get boring as quickly as freshwater. Actually...it never has for me. The addiction keeps growing..and I typically have a short attention span for things that take up my time.
Saltwater is hugely addictive...put together something you can bring with you :D I started out with a 25gal reef-ready tank and now...quite a while later lol I have three large tanks and various 30 and under tanks scattered around my poor house.

fshhub

Inexpensive, I would go with a community tank. See if you can find a decnt used tank somewhere, some lfs's will sell them on consignment for other hobbyist, or check your local paper.
I would use a DSB and the Penguin would be ok for a fish only. Add a couple of pounds of lr to it and with a fish only you could use normal lighting, I would if possible get a dual light and some brighter bulbs, if possible but will work without in a FO tank.
Teh main reason I am saying community is the cost of most aggressive fish(excluding damsels) is generally more than most community fish. And msot aggressive fish do get larger and require larger tanks.
I agree with nolofinwe get a larger tank if possible. A 55 is a great starter and leaves room for more fishes, but smaller can be done, with careful stocking and some extra maintenance.
If possible in the end, I sould get a skimmer, but you could get by without one in a FO. I would however definitely get a couple of powerheads for added circulation too.
Our first tank was a 39 gallon tank with 2 whsper filters and a powerhead, normal lighting and a DSB. It was nice, we jsut got more into the hobby and made changes which eventually brought us to reefkeeping.