Is Live Rock Necessary for FO tank?

brikhouz44

I'm a beginner, and I continue to hear differring opinions on live rock from different fish stores. Some tell me that live rock is a necessity, but others say that I should just cycle the tank using damsels and live sand, and that ultimately live rock is not necessary for a healthy FO saltwater tank. They've also added that live rock can add possible disease that is difficult to treat in a FO tank.
Anyone have any advice on this?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

27mtaylor

You don't have to have Live Rock to have a FO tank. I had mine up for about a year before I added any live rock. Live rock provides additional media for beneficial bacteria to live, and the bacteria is what makes your tank go through the "cycle". It is a good idea to add live rock for this reason. It helps your tanks efficiency on breaking down waste.

Basically, live rock can only benefit your aquarium, and I have never heard of any diseases being spread through live rock. It you did get diseases from it, it would not be that hard to treat in a FO system, unless you are going to have inverts in it.
And also, please do not use damsels to cycle your tank, there are better ways of doing this, but if you do use damsel (or guppies, if you have read a recent thread) please do not tell us, unless you want all hell to break loose, and people to forever hate you on these message boards...
just a word of advice...

ophiura

I agree that while it is not NECESSARY it can definitely be a benefit...and certain fish will most certainly benefit from it.
What sort of fish are you keeping? If large predators (eg lions, eels) then it is not so necessary (but I hope you have a wet/dry). If you are keeping smaller things like dwarf angels, tangs, etc...they definitely benefit, IMO, from the grazing available.
I also agree that there is little need for damselfish cycling. There are lots of opinions on it for sure, but don't be talked into the idea that you need to use damselfish.
IMO, live rock will not introduce any diseases. Ask those same LFS if they think their FISH will introduce any diseases. Because unless they do a full several week QT on all their fish with hyposalinity or copper, well, their fish can introduce those diseases.
Now LR can
have some undesirable hitch hikers like crabs and mantis shrimp but the benefits far outweigh the risks from these.

I just had a thought... If live rock did hold any diseases or parasites... wouldn't they dye during the curing time of the rock, since there would be no fish for them to survive on?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by Spanish Dancer
I just had a thought... If live rock did hold any diseases or parasites... wouldn't they dye during the curing time of the rock, since there would be no fish for them to survive on?
What cure process? Many buy there rock with no consideration what that rock has been exposed to. LR can carry ich, though only under certain circumstances such as:
The rock was in the same tank as infected fish.
The rock shared water, equiptment, etc. with tanks with infected fish.
Best bet when setting up a new tank is to allow it to cycle. By the time cycle is over [at least a month] any ich will be gone.
LR is a vital componet of the aquaria, and while, yes, you can certainly set up a tank wo it, you emphase will have to be on "equiptment" to filter that tank adequates [in the absense of the LR which is an excellent biofilter].
Angels and Tangs should not be kept in FO tanks, imo.

brikhouz44

Thank you for the feedback. It sounds like I should get some LR for the start. I plan on putting together a 65 gallon reasonably nice tank for my kids that includes clown / puffer / angel / etc - possibly some inverts down the line.
Any suggestions on the type of LR to get for this group of fish. I know there are many different types, and didn't know if one was better than any other.
Also, I'll avoid the damsel strategy - I didn't realize this was as cruel as it is. Thank you.

Beth,
Do not even tell me you had no clue that there was a curing process associated with live rock...
And no, not all ich will be gone after a month, if it is chosen to cycle the aquarium with damselfish...

lion_crazz

The type of live rock you pick is a matter of personal preference. I do not really like the look of tonga rock or tonga branch rock, so I went with Fiji, since it is more readily available and cheaper anyways.
I am also happy to see you changed your mind on cycling the tank with damsels.

What!?! where did you buy your live rock from? the only reason I didn't buy fiji was because it was more expensive than other live rocks...

stanlalee

what you need is surface area for bacteria to grow on. Liverock has a lot of surface area. so does crushed coral. I wont say its neccessary but the higher your bioload is the more surface area you need to deal with it.